Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

**Another Update.... Mini vent. Why would she be rude to my kid?.....

2nd Update.

Whew that was not fun. I just called and canceled his apt for Monday to get the tooth pulled. Asked to speak with the office manager and let her know why we are switching. I told her that all the staff on our first visit, and most of the staff on the second visit were really great with my kids and nice. Told her the 2 women who were assisting when he went to the back were rude. That I was very surprised at how they were talking to him, and that if he had had a tooth pulled with them talking to him like that I know it would have been a really bad stressful experience for him. So I told her we are not coming back because of it.

So she's going to figure out the two that were helping and talk to them. She also said if we ever come back she can make sure they don't work with him. Which we wont.

Just updating cause that was not my favorite thing to do. But, its done. <sigh>

**UPDATE I typed in the name of the clinic to look for a pic of the ladies who were talking to ds like this... and under the name of the clinic was the name followed by the word "lawsuits"
HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!!!!!!!!!
I can't believe this. This is our first dentist ever. And I tried to find the cheapest one I could because we have no insurance and pay out of pocket. My parents help cover costs and I wanted to keep costs low. Apparently not a good way to find a freaking dentist.

***Ok, that link didn't work and I found a much more mild video so Im posting that here. It's still disturbing and contains triggers so viewer beware

Just updating to say..........

I CANT BELIEVE I HAD MY SON IN THAT PLACE!!!!!

Ds has an infection in a molar. He woke up with his cheek all swollen So we went to the dentist and everyone was sooo nice to ds, except this one lady. She's talking to ds and he's not answering. His face is very swollen and he was really freaked out, not knowing what they were going to do, yk? She called ds rude!!! A 6 year old!
There was one other lady who was not exact nice , they made comments like "why do you look so mad? What's your problem?" and getting onto him for hesitating about getting in the chair instead of being reassuring. Stuff like that. I was very surprised as I was freaked out for ds and trying not to cry, I had no idea what to say so I said nothing.
But the more I think about it the more I'm bothered by it, they should realize kids go in there scared, and especially when they have a swollen face you should be gentle with them.

We go back on Monday and ds will have to have a tooth pulled. I don't want to let comments like that slide again, but I dont want to make anyone mad either and stress ds out.

Should I have said anything/ should I if it happens again? What should I say?

ETA now that I think back she did seem surprised at what the dentist prescribed him for antibiotics and pain, so she probably did not realize quite how crappy he was feeling. I'll probably still bring it up though because I just think you should give a 6yo the benefit of the doubt.

Advertisement

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 04-05-2013 at 07:43 AM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
kelly679
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mini vent. Why would she say this? What would you have done?

Wow. Thats awful. They should be gentle and kind to your son. Personally I wouldnt stand for it, but I have special needs kids and tend to be a little fierce.
kelly679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Mackie3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't keep my mouth shut when people talk to my children, or any children, like that. I probably would have told them that I am more than happy to take my business amd money elsewhere, and then would have spoken with an office manager or someone im charge.
Mackie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I usually give a half hearted apology and explanation like "Sorry, he's swollen and in pain and scared", kind of like a polite "Seriously idiots? He's 6".
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wait - who was saying those things? Employees, or just other people waiting at the office?
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I would probably try to speak with the office staff personally, without your son, before the next visit. Just have him wait in the car for a minute, while you run in and ask to speak to the specific ladies in question in front of their boss. I'd explain that at your last appointment your son apparently came off as rude, and you wanted to let them know that he was only six, in pain, and scared to move his mouth even to talk or smile. "I'm sure you understand, since you work in dentistry and have probably had tooth pain yourself." I'd close by telling them he felt bad after the last appointment, and ask for their help making this appointment a nicer experience, though he might not smile or talk.

If they are still rude I would have the tooth pulled and then tell the dentist (preferably in front of other patients) exactly why you were not going to be coming back.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
ralenth
Registered Users

I would probably ask to speak with them out of the hearing of your son, and say look, he's in pain, he's scared, and you are expecting too much of a six year old! But the Momma Bear in me comes out fairly easily these days....
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
threelittlehoneys
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu
Wait - who was saying those things? Employees, or just other people waiting at the office?
2 employees
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
threelittlehoneys
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
I usually give a half hearted apology and explanation like "Sorry, he's swollen and in pain and scared", kind of like a polite "Seriously idiots? He's 6".
This almost came out of my mouth but I was trying to communicate as little of my fear to ds as possible so I stopped.

I was just so surprised to hear her say that yk??? I need to toughen up and be prepared to say something maybe like "hey, he's mouth is just bugging him, he's not rude". I need to work on my "Mater of fact" tone though and I hope I don't make her mad if I have up say something ds is very sensitive to confrontation.

After this I think we're switching. For other reasons too but I'll definitely get her name and let them know she wasn't that nice to my kid.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's definitely not okay. I expect professionals in medical offices to be very patient and gentle and kind with ALL kids - not just the ones who are there in pain, even, but all of them. Being in a dentist office, especially, can be very scary and intimidating!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote