Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #21
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: High school babysitter pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom View Post
I am a fulltime nanny I work 9-10 hrs a day 5 days a week and make just $ 135 a week. Man am I really underpaid.
Yikes. I'd quit and get myself 2 8 hour shifts at a fast food restaurant and bring home more money without working full time or being responsible for some else's children.

Unless you are a Daycare with the volume to make up for it, just over $2/hour is ridiculously low.

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
DecsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think where you live makes a huge difference in childcare costs. There is about a $25/week difference in cost from where I live now and the city I grew up in. I pay $170/week/child right now. This is relatively low for our area. It is usually $195-200/week average for an in home daycare. Daycare center can top around $265/week. For babysitting for a couple hour outing, we paid $6/hour for 1 child. Haven't been out yet since having #2 yet, so don't know that cost.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We pay $10 for our normal sitter. She's a high school senior, drives, and does lots of extras too. Laundry, dishes, whatever we ask. We have 4 kids, soon to be 6, one in diapers right now. I figure that's more than min wage, no taxes for her, and we are flexible with her schedule (and she is with ours). It seems mutually beneficial. She's usually here about 6 hours a week.