Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
breebee
Registered Users
seller

How to keep lo from tummy sleeping?

DD is 4.5 months, we co sleep and I alway put her to sleep on her back as I know it reduces sids. She has been trying to roll onto her tummy in her sleep. I read once they can roll back and forth it's safer but she can only roll onto her stomach and has not yet rolled from belly to back so I'm wondering if I need to be worried and try to keep her on he back or let her do her thing? Any knowledge or resources? Thanks

Advertisement

breebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by breebee
DD is 4.5 months, we co sleep and I alway put her to sleep on her back as I know it reduces sids. She has been trying to roll onto her tummy in her sleep. I read once they can roll back and forth it's safer but she can only roll onto her stomach and has not yet rolled from belly to back so I'm wondering if I need to be worried and try to keep her on he back or let her do her thing? Any knowledge or resources? Thanks
This is from my personal experience and my opinion: my DD1 at 4 mo did this in her crib, which was next to our bed. I tried to "block" her with a rolled towel at her side but eventually it didn't work and I let her sleep on her tummy. It was not an issue for me since I saw she always would turn her head on the side.
I am very curious to see what other moms will tell.
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to keep lo from tummy sleeping?

I actually checked with the SIDS foundation on this since DS1 did the same thing and I was worried. They said if the baby can roll by themselves, it's OK (as long as they aren't swaddled). Just put them to bed on their back, and the most important thing is to not have anything in with them--no blankets, no pillows, no stuffed animals. Just a crib sheet on the mattress. I did get an angelcare monitor because I am paranoid and it helped me sleep at night :P
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

If she face plants to the mattress then yes you should get the positioner blocks but if she sleeps with face to either side like my finger sucker toddler then you shouldn't worry as baby will try to find fist all the time reducing the face plant thing and sids I believe.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

No you should not use a positioner or blankets - SIDS groups don't recommend these at all!

Unless there is something developmentally wrong with your DD she should be turning her head to sleep. DS could roll every night to his belly by 8 wks, it was very scary for me as I lost a sister to SIDS as an older child. I was adamant about "back to sleep." i was told once they can roll on their own, let it go.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep my dd started rolling early just to sleep on her tummy.at 1 she now rolls the minute you put her in bed with little tush up in the air
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I put my dd on her tummy for naps at 6 weeks and then around 8 weeks we starting doing full nights. We aren't cosleepers though but she was in a bassinet beside our bed. Turns out she's a tummy sleeper and slept well from then on!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Once they do on their own, it's fine. We had a sids death in our family. We never increase the risk by putting a child to sleep on their tummy. We simply do not know which babies are born with increased risk. All we can do is limit their external risks.

Once a child can freely decide to sleep on their tummy, they then have to tools to get out of trouble if need be. Make sure baby can also room from tummy to back without assistance

My husbands aunt worked for 15 years with the SIDS foundation. And just recently stopped. So we have the most up to date research available. The back to sleep program is still saving lives (and its just not about how they categorize deaths anymore, like some claim) it's proven to keep babies in a lighter sleep.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We did tummy sleeping from pretty early, but I always kept baby in same room and/or bed as myself for naps AND night time sleep until she was able to roll on her own. She just always slept better on her tummy.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I'd let her be. Anything you put in there to try to stop her is going to be more of a risk than just letting her tummy sleep.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote