Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
kcannon
Registered Users
seller
seller

GBS + No Antibiotics

Any of you other GBS + ladies thinking of opting out of antibiotics? I really think I'm going to forgo them unless my water has been broken for a prolonged period of time. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: GBS + No Antibiotics

I would get them. I really think the benefits outweigh the risks. but everyone has their opinion on this.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would probably get them as well. Better me than baby. But I've always been negative so I don't know a ton about it either.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If I was positive, I probably would have declined antibiotics. I don't think it's healthy to mess with my baby's gut flora right from the get go. The US & Canada are the only countries that even test, and they have higher rate of babies with GBS infection. If you forgo the antibiotics, you need to monitor very closely.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have said this in other threads and i will say this here. My first dd was born with GBS and it was the worst experience as a parent i have ever had. It was a year of hell. It was not just give her an antibiotic and she will be ok. She was born with very very low abgar scores. I was not allowed to see her for many hours afterwards, she never latched properly after that, she was continuously sick for the first year of her life in which she was on more antibiotics than she would have been exposed to had i just gotten the antibiotics beforehand. I did not know i was positive back then because they only tested once and it was earlier in the pregnancy.

As a parent who has been through this I highly encourage women to think before just deciding not to. I was not sure my baby was going to make it 24 hours after she was born. It was extremely scary. You can read more in other threads i have posted in. I am still not sure that her short term memory difficulties are from this or not.

edited to add that my water was broken exactly 1.5 hours before i delivered. Not prolonged at all.

Last edited by ulawolf; 04-03-2013 at 05:45 PM.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
I have said this in other threads and i will say this here. My first dd was born with GBS and it was the worst experience as a parent i have ever had. It was a year of hell. It was not just give her an antibiotic and she will be ok. She was born with very very low abgar scores. I was not allowed to see her for many hours afterwards, she never latched properly after that, she was continuously sick for the first year of her life in which she was on more antibiotics than she would have been exposed to had i just gotten the antibiotics beforehand. I did not know i was positive back then because they only tested once and it was earlier in the pregnancy.

As a parent who has been through this I highly encourage women to think before just deciding not to. I was not sure my baby was going to make it 24 hours after she was born. It was extremely scary. You can read more in other threads i have posted in. I am still not sure that her short term memory difficulties are from this or not.

edited to add that my water was broken exactly 1.5 hours before i delivered. Not prolonged at all.
The antibiotics given during delivery are very short lived - it is better then weeks or years like this mama had!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
kcannon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you for all the opinions! I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I make a decision.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

If you are worried about the Antibiotics I just wanted to let you know that not everyone has problems with them. I am given a TON more antibiotics then a person with GBS because of my heart valve and neither I or dd had any issues She latched right away, no yeast (ever) or rash issues. I probably should have eat a little yogart the next day because my stomach was a tiny bit upset. If you do get them just take a few probiotic pills and your lo will get it threw your milk! The amount you get for GBS is really low - I had so many bags of them....
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
birdinhand
Registered Users

Also the antibiotics don't totally protect against GBS infection, it just decreases the risk, doesn't eliminate it.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know that I would decline them. But that's more because I wouldn't want to deal with the other stuff that may come along after birth - monitoring or observing baby, possibly having baby taken away to the NICU, them doing tests or administering antibiotics to baby "just in case". I wouldn't want to deal with all that.

For that reason, I'm hoping for a longer labor - not the norm on our board so far it seems! But I'd like one like DS3's - 7 hours from waking up contracting to him being born, but just over 4hrs from antibiotics to birth (by 10mins or so).
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote