Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Where do I put my child for school?

I recently did some assessment tests with DS. Reading recognition, reading comprehension, math, etc. and now I'm kind of freaking out.

DS is 4 and is reading at a 4th-5th grade level. His math is around a 3rd grade level. He knows things about the United States and continents of the world that even I didn't know. He is even able to work out basic logic and syllogism.

I've always suspected that public school would not be an option for him, but even the private schools cannot accommodate him.

What do I do with my child when it comes time for going to school?

No system can place him where he needs to be to be actually learning new things. I wish I could home school him, but with my home life what it is, I cannot afford to quit my job.

I feel awful. I don't want to stick him in a grade/school where his potential is wasted, but there is nowhere to send him that can help him.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm kind of lost on this one.

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Mommy of 2girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have no idea but wanted to say what a smart little boy you have!! I would look into schools that school based on ability not only age. My dd is in fifth grade but for math she gets seventh grade material and tests, etc. she had always been ahead and our public school accommodated her.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Montessori school?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
What assessment did you use? I have used many and get varying results.

Can you homeschool?

My son reads at a college level. He is 9. But he is still 9. While he could read war and peace and likely answer any question you ask him about it, it's still a subject matter he shouldn't have to or want to read. So we find challenging but appropriate reading for him.

Some schools will accommodate but most won't until the 3rd grade when GT programs start (and the reason we pulled ds from school)

And he is only 4 so being with peers and learning peer interaction in the early years is most important. A challenge is good but bookworm is defiantly not the only thing little ones need.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where do I put my child for school?

When I was a kid they tested me for kindergarten and I scored so well they wanted to put me in 2nd grade. My parents declined because they were afraid of social development but I was always bored in school and wish I could have jumped ahead.

Are there any magnet schools or charter schools in your area? I am planning to put DD in Charter school when she starts kindergarten. But maybe even the public school would test him and allow him to skip a grade or 2 based on his scoring?
~KittyKat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Kayc1086
Registered Users
seller

Don't disregard the social/emotional maturity of your child (who may be exceptional in this area too!) I work with a child as a private tutor who is extremely exceptional, reading at 3rd grade, math at 5th, etc... And he is 5. But while his academic skills are incredible he is still emotionally and socially 5. After a year of private tutoring it is obviously he needs social interaction (preferably with same-age peers) to fully develop. Twice a week soccer and a few swim lessons arent giving him enough.

His parents and I are working with the local public school to develop an IEP that will take into account his overall needs. It is your local school's duty to provide an individualized education plan for your child. They even have to pay for tutoring or tuition to a different school if they can not accommodate your child's needs. My advice is to know your rights and be ready to push. Many schools don't want to give "gifted" students the attention they need and they try to short cut it. Good luck!
Kayc1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

A good public school can properly address his needs with their gifted program, differentiated teaching, and a great teacher. Before ruling it out, I would give them a chance. I teach in a urban school, and we still have great gifted programs at the elementary level, and kids are challenged regardless of their abilities. Our kids are identified for the gifted program in March of the kindy year.

I would try public school first because it is the free option, and go from there. You may be pleasantly surprised. In DD's class, more than half of the kids were already reading when kindy started. This particular board tends to be anti-public school, but for many children, it is a great option and they thrive.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 04-06-2013 at 10:00 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
DS is currently in a Montessori school. His biggest complaint is that he doesn't like the other kids. He says they are loud and obnoxious (yes, he says obnoxious).

He is not a normal kid. Maybe it's because of how I've raised him, or maybe it's just the way he is, but he's more comfortable with older people. Kids his age annoy him. He interacts just fine with older kids and adults, and he loves babies and young toddlers.

He's a happy kid. He runs and plays. He just doesn't like people up in his face, and that tends to be how kids his age are.

Ugh! I don't know.

I had intended to homeschool him until XH and I divorced. I had to get a job to pay bills. I'm in school now in order to get a better job. But now I'm wondering if I will need to bite the bullet and homeschool him.

I don't want to pry him into an environment where he will be miserable (aka public school) and I don't know if his school can fully accommodate his educational needs.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

This is why we started homeschooling 8 years ago. My dd's teacher point blank told us she could not teach my dd as she needed to be because the other kids weren't ready for it. She was in Kindergarden. The teacher told us that my dd sat at the teachers desk and did puzzles. There was no option for individualized work, nor the gifted program at that age.

You can totally homeschool and work. I have worked off and on while homeschooling. Homeschooling doesn't take nearly as long as a traditional school day. Even my highschoolers Are done in about 3 hours. My younger ones in about an hour to two if they are piddling.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Before you jump the gun, I would speak to the school's psychologist and see what options you have.

My gf was in a similar situation and ended up skipping kindergarten and placing n thr first grade. Once it was evident tht his social skills were up to par, the teachers adjusted and now he spends part of his day in the second grade class (for two or three subjects) and part in the first grade. It's working out quite well.

Last edited by NotLad; 04-07-2013 at 12:11 AM.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote