Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where do I put my child for school?

I don't know if this would be an option but if you know someone that homeschools, do you think they would include your child if you asked with the needs of your child? I know lots around me homeschool in different ways and a few that if I felt I couldn't that they might take my daughter and help me out and home school her as well.

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #12
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
A good public school can properly address his needs with their gifted program, differentiated teaching, and a great teacher. Before ruling it out, I would give them a chance. I teach in a urban school, and we still have great gifted programs at the elementary level, and kids are challenged regardless of their abilities. Our kids are identified for the gifted program in March of the kindy year.

I would try public school first because it is the free option, and go from there. You may be pleasantly surprised. In DD's class, more than half of the kids were already reading when kindy started. This particular board tends to be anti-public school, but for many children, it is a great option and they thrive.
All of this.

Public schools are used to having to differentiate for a wide variety of needs and abilities. Most private school teachers are not as well-versed in differentiating. The public schools where I work and send my DD1 screen most kids for gifted programs in 2nd grade, but parents can request a screening at any time, as early as the beginning of kindergarten. There is a student in my DD1's kinder class who goes to an older grade level for her reading group every day and it's been working out well for her. At another school where I work, a student who started the year in kinder was moved to 1st grade early in the year and it's not going as well. She's doing well academically, but her social skills have been a consistent problem in 1st grade. Just because a child doesn't get along with his/her same-aged peers doesn't mean that he/she will be accepted by older children.

Personally, I would put my child in public school kindergarten because it's dynamic and fun. They have the rest of their lives to be challenged and work hard, but they only get to be kids once. Life is a much happier place for a child who is a leader in a class with his/her same-aged peers than it is for a child who is socially out-of-place and expected to study and work hard to keep up in a more challenging class.

Last edited by CASMama711; 04-07-2013 at 07:24 AM.
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASMama711

Personally, I would put my child in public school kindergarten because it's dynamic and fun. They have the rest of their lives to be challenged and work hard, but they only get to be kids once. Life is a much happier place for a child who is a leader in a class with his/her same-aged peers than it is for a child who is socially out-of-place and expected to study and work hard to keep up in a more challenging class.
How in the world is a homeschooled child "socially out of place"?

I disagree with you on this. If I had left my now 12yo in her Kindy class she would have floundered. She would have been held back acaedmically. There was NO option at her PS for her to get advanced and different instruction than the rest of the class.

Why in the world would I want to stifle her love for learning by making her sit in a classroom day in and day out and be bored to death? So she could be a "happy leader in her class?" Absolutely not!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now

I disagree with you on this. If I had left my now 12yo in her Kindy class she would have floundered. She would have been held back acaedmically. There was NO option at her PS for her to get advanced and different instruction than the rest of the class.

Why in the world would I want to stifle her love for learning by making her sit in a classroom day in and day out and be bored to death? So she could be a "happy leader in her class?" Absolutely not!

I agree. And to add to this I wish I'd started out homeschooling instead of waiting until first grade. She was actually more "socially out of place" when she was while in school. Not all kids respond to the same education setting. They don't all need to be shoved into the same box.

Op...good luck with your decision. You know your child better than anyone so follow your mommy instinct whether its public, private or homeschool. I did and don't regret it.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think by socially out of place she meant a child being in a class with older peers, not homeschooled.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley
I think by socially out of place she meant a child being in a class with older peers, not homeschooled.
Oh ok . I was reading before coffee.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
Nicolenutt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now

I think she meant by putting a 5 yr old with 2nd or 3rd graders. That's how I read it
Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #18
Nicolenutt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art mama

Oh ok . I was reading before coffee.
Lol. I'm slow on the uptake today. Must reply faster
Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolenutt

I think she meant by putting a 5 yr old with 2nd or 3rd graders. That's how I read it
If so, my apologies then.

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much to everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate the different views and opinions

My concern with public school is funding. Public schools are overcrowded and suffering as a whole. I know that people say he can be accommodated, but I really am not sure he would be. (I will look into it, though). I'm going to talk to his private school as well to see what the options are for him.

I just don't want him trapped in a system where he's not learning and being forced to interact with people he can't stand.