Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #21
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where do I put my child for school?

Not all schools are over crowded either. Our inner city district has 20 to a class at the elementary level, and our suburban district has 22. Its the high school level where they stack the classes. Where we cut this year was ENL and special ed, and hired more paras instead of certified staff so that traditional class sizes are not affected. I have feelings on this, but that is a whole different thread.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 04-07-2013 at 10:03 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Not all schools are over crowded either. Our inner city district has 20 to a class at the elementary level, and our suburban district has 22. Its the high school level where they stack the classes. Where we cut this year was ENL and special ed, and hired more paras instead of certified staff so that traditional class sizes are not affected. I have feelings on this, but that is a whole different thread.
Oh do I wish that was true here.

Kinder classes are typically 30ish here. In middle school upwards of 40 and in highschool they don't even have enough desks for all students so some sit on the floor during class. And we have 215 elem. schools, 60 middle schools and 50 high schools. :Banghead:

As for the OP..
Make a meeting with the school. Ask them the questions you have regarding is abilities, when GT is available (here they won't even look at a kid until 3rd grade), and class size.

Kinder is really easy to homeschool. It can be done in less than 2 hours for an advanced kiddo. There may be other options as well. Do you have charter schools? Magnet schools? Some might be better equipped to handle his needs but keep him at a social level with peers. I don't think a 1-2 year difference is that big of a deal but there are some things that a 5 year old doesn't know socially that a 7-9 year old might that you haven't touched on yet.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would love to home school him, but what about work? I work in a law office. Available hours are 8a-5p. Right now I work 10a-5p. I take DS to school at 9a and XFIL picks him up at 3p and watches him until I get home around 5:30p-6:00p.

I guess I could always work 10a-2p while he's in 'school' and just home school him after. But it seems like such a waste to spend the money to send him some place where he won't be learning and doesn't like the people in his class.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

You could consider hiring a private tutor to "homeschool" him. I bet there are licensed, experienced teachers out there who have chosen to quit their jobs to be SAHMs but would love the extra stimulation and income of giving individualized instruction to a bright child for two or three hours a day.

FWIW, I am pro-public school. And as a former K teacher, it would really steam me to have a parent say their child "won't be learning" in my class. If that is your attitude - and it seems that your mind is already made up - then I don't think public school is the way to go.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoo
You could consider hiring a private tutor to "homeschool" him. I bet there are licensed, experienced teachers out there who have chosen to quit their jobs to be SAHMs but would love the extra stimulation and income of giving individualized instruction to a bright child for two or three hours a day.

FWIW, I am pro-public school. And as a former K teacher, it would really steam me to have a parent say their child "won't be learning" in my class. If that is your attitude - and it seems that your mind is already made up - then I don't think public school is the way to go.
Yes it sounds like our mind is already made up. I think the suggestion above is a good one
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #26
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know your son's personality and that will play into how he may or may not do in school.

That being said, don't be so quick to say he will be bored and hate school and won't learn anything. Dd1 read beyond a 5th grade reading level before starting K. She loved K though. She loved learning about aardvarks as the other kids learned about the letter A. She loved learning about Johny Appleseed. A good teacher will teacher a lot more than just reading and math in his/her lessons. So there is a lot to be learned if they look beyond the basic lesson. Her teacher made sure she had plenty of books in the classroom for her to read (chapter books she enjoyed instead of learn to read stuff). Her teacher also had a high school girl come work with her a couple times a week on more advanced stuff - they wrote a play together and performed it for the class, they studied the states and wrote a report on it that they presented to the class type thing.

We had trouble with dd1 saying she was so bored in school. Well after talking to her teacher we discovered she would just zone out and not pay attention when she realized she already knew the material. So we worked on her paying attention and participating in class. And you know what - she once again discovered there was stuff to be learned in the classroom discussion. She gets pulled out for reading and math enrichment once each week this year. Starting in 3rd grade they expand the TAG program so she'll get more enrichment opportunities.

Sorry this is a long post. But all that was to say - learning can be done no matter how advanced you are. The child has to be willing to find those opportunities and most teachers are more than willing to help your child find opportunities to learn in everything.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't really have any advice other than to look into the specific schools available without making any assumptions. Every school is different whether it's a public school or private. You can't just assume that a public school is under funded and over crowded without verification just like you can't assume that a particular private school has super small class sizes with teachers who know how to reach gifted kids.

There is a lot more than just teaching a gifted child at their level. I just spent 2 straight days with the 5th grade GRC kids as a chaperone on an overnight field trip. They need the interaction with each other. They need the support of others like them. They also need to learn to interact with NT kids without being stepped on or being jerks themselves. And they need to learn how to get past academic failures so that they can deal with life failures in a healthy way. And that's just a few needs.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacsMom2009 View Post
I would love to home school him, but what about work? I work in a law office. Available hours are 8a-5p. Right now I work 10a-5p. I take DS to school at 9a and XFIL picks him up at 3p and watches him until I get home around 5:30p-6:00p.

I guess I could always work 10a-2p while he's in 'school' and just home school him after. But it seems like such a waste to spend the money to send him some place where he won't be learning and doesn't like the people in his class.
Honestly? It sounds like you really want to homeschool him. Will you be able to make a living only working 4 hours a day and paying for private school? That may not be realistic (I know that would not be realistic for me). Can you do more school/enrichment after school or on weekends?

Also, to the comment about not wanting him to have to spend time with people he can't stand: I think that will be a great learning experience for him. Even if/especially if he is incredibly gifted, getting along with and appreciating others will be important for him.

I have known several very gifted kids when I was a student. Mostly, they took classes elsewhere, either during school hours or outside of school hours. Like they would be taking multi-variable calculus at a local college in the 7th grade. They also were active in clubs and hobbies. I have not known any of them who were advanced socially. I am not saying they were stunted (some were), just that it will be difficult for a 6 year old to be friends with 5th graders.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #29
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
I think by socially out of place she meant a child being in a class with older peers, not homeschooled.
Yes, thank you for clarifying this before I came back to this thread.

Obviously, children are not socially out of place at home.

The public schools where I live and work are also not overcrowded. The largest kinder class I've seen here is 22 students with a teacher and a para and most classes are smaller than that. In another state where I worked in public schools for 10 years, there was even a state law that limited K-3 classes to a 22 student maximum.

Last edited by CASMama711; 04-07-2013 at 04:27 PM.
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #30
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Does your school district offer different programs?

For example here there are french and mandarin immersion, fine arts schools, Waldorf, Montesorri etc..? If he already reads well then putting him a program that is not in English would challenge him right away.

Talk to some schools and see what the options are, figure out the finances and see what your options are for private/ home schooling etc.. I think a really important thing to do before perhaps talking to the schools is to have him privately assessed - otherwise I fear you may sound just like a parent who thinks their kid is smarter than all the other kids!.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote