Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Care for uncirced baby?

I feel like an idiot asking this, but I give up on threads here because of the arguing and debating. We circed DS1, we didn't know better and thought it was still the normal and healthy thing to do. It is what it is, but because of that we have no experience with this.

I am reading to wipe it like a glove...TBH I'm not sure I understand what that means...

I know not to retract it, ever.

So what should we be doing, if anything? At what point does that change, if ever?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Care for uncirced baby?

due date crashing

wash it like you do an elbow or finger some people like to say - dont scrub it hard though like dirty fingers
it doesnt change- my dh comes from a country that is routinely anti circ. Don't be nervous - it takes no special care and if he is anything like my sons, he will retract it on his own in due time which is not a problem for it either

Last edited by negrapy; 04-19-2013 at 02:22 PM.
negrapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

You don't need to do anything at all. My son is not circ'd, and I really do nothing special, just wipe with a cloth the same way I wipe his bum and all his other stinky parts. When he was brand new the tip was slightly red and I put a bit of lanolin on the surface, but that's the fanciest we ever got.

And don't worry, I doubt you'll have any inclination to do anything more. Uncirc'd really looks and seems like one solid piece of skin (it basically is), so it's not like you'll be tempted to go digging around.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

You will just wipe it like a finger, from base to tip and dab the tip to make sure nothing is in there. That's all, easy peasy
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ditto the others! just wipe as you would a finger...no special care needed for intact babies!

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

ddc! I just wanted to add that it's normal for retraction to occur at puberty, I know some people expect it at a very young age.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
birdinhand
Registered Users

Self-cleaning oven, you don't have to do anything special . The prepuce takes care of the cleaning, kind of like a girl and all the folds of skin she has.

I did watch my ped like a hawk when she was doing the newborn exam because I was afraid she might try to retract; she didn't .
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It was brave of you to make that decision, especially with a son already circ'd. Kudos to you.

You do have to be careful of doctors. Depending on where you live it may be difficult to find one who knows how to leave a penis alone. Any retraction is forced retraction, and is not okay. We changed peds because one just wanted to see the meatus (urethral opening) and used his fingers to pull the foreskin back slightly. I would make it known that you don't want his penis touched unless you ask the doctor to check for a specific concern.

Once he can retract it himself, it just needs rinsed in the shower or bath. This can happen anytime, but the average age is 10.

This has a lot of extra info, but it's the one link I had on hand about intact care: http://www.cirp.org/library/hygiene/

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

We are pretty open minded about things like this. I had no idea to even research it back then, because I had no idea it wasn't just something you did to baby boys YK? He's never had any issues from it, but we have learned better so now we try to do better. It just seemed there was no medical reason for it, and no religious reasons for us, so why do it?

Thanks for the tips. I hope our ped is knowledgeable about it so DH and I don't have to have the, "she's the dr and knows more than your internet friends..." conversation.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
We are pretty open minded about things like this. I had no idea to even research it back then, because I had no idea it wasn't just something you did to baby boys YK? He's never had any issues from it, but we have learned better so now we try to do better. It just seemed there was no medical reason for it, and no religious reasons for us, so why do it?

Thanks for the tips. I hope our ped is knowledgeable about it so DH and I don't have to have the, "she's the dr and knows more than your internet friends..." conversation.
You aren't alone. My ods is circ'd and Nate is not. And the whole "watch your ped" advice is totally warranted. The ped that cleared Nate to go home sits on the aap board and a respected hospital ped board. Not only did he try to retract Nate's (before I even realized) but he told me to do it routinely or it may never happen on its own...

So I am not the only one who has those conversations with their DS? Really for the most part (just like youve indicated before) I find doctors I trust and follow their advice, but even so my internet friends educate me on what questions to ask!