Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Maybe a Dumb ???

I'm preggo with #3 and I had issues nursing with both my other kids due to lack of knowledge mostly.
My question is does milk ever tap out? For example if I were to nurse my baby and then pump afterwards to help increase my supply and then the baby wanted to nurse again right away, is there still milk in there to nurse? I guess my question is how long does it take for your body to make more milk?

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
BubBubsMom
Registered Users
Formerly: TaReeses
seller
seller

That's a good question, I've always wondered that myself
BubBubsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Yes, there would still be milk. There may not be a fast flow or a quick letdown but there is milk. Our breaats are never actually empty.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I believe it can depend on your liquid intake. Your body needs water to make milk and once baby is out, your body will prioritize your body needs over milk making.

So drink gallons if you want to make gallons.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Maybe a Dumb ???

yes agree more water the better. I would feed and about halfway between feedings express instead of after feeding as I did that and ended up with about 2000 ounces taking over my deep freeze that I donated.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
abcmama2011
Registered Users

The more you allow your LO to suckle at your breast and the more you pump, the more milk you will make. The pp is correct that you won't ever run out of milk. It will just express much slower. A well hydrated body is essential for BFing but TOO much water can actually decrease supply so don't overdo it. If you really want to be successful BFing and need info there are great resources out there. I would start with La Leche League (website, meetings, etc).
abcmama2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
cbreeding
Registered Users

Technically milk is a 24/7 production. The quantity made at one time will vary though. It is supply and demand. The more that is demanded at the breast, the more your body will make more.

Definitely check out a La Leche League meeting. I've been to several where the women were pregnant with their first so don't feel like you have to have had the baby already to go.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
cbreeding
Registered Users

Technically milk is a 24/7 production. The quantity made at one time will vary though. It is supply and demand. The more that is demanded at the breast, the more your body will make more.

Definitely check out a La Leche League meeting. I've been to several where the women were pregnant with their first so don't feel like you have to have had the baby already to go.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks guys! I just always felt like I never made enough milk with my last child. She would cry and come off the breast like there was nothing left. She would eat fine in the middle of the night, but during the early evening she would scream and cry for hours and wouldn't nurse. Looking back now it seems she may have had another issue such as reflux.
I'm just so nervous I'm going to fall at breastfeeding again and I know how depressing that was. I'm trying to get all the info I can now so I can be prepared.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalyer View Post
Thanks guys! I just always felt like I never made enough milk with my last child. She would cry and come off the breast like there was nothing left. She would eat fine in the middle of the night, but during the early evening she would scream and cry for hours and wouldn't nurse. Looking back now it seems she may have had another issue such as reflux.
I'm just so nervous I'm going to fall at breastfeeding again and I know how depressing that was. I'm trying to get all the info I can now so I can be prepared.
All my babies had a witching hour where there was 3 hours in the evening they just screamed. This happened for months. It is very common. No amount of anything made it better. Sometimes walking, bouncing, nursing, or nothing worked for a few minutes at a time.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote