Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
princessgirl409
Registered Users
seller

I think it's always beneficial to hear both sides of something and I wanted to tell you our experience.
My ds was a reflux baby and because of the acid being refluxed up constantly, he kept an ear infection. He was on antibiotics constantly.
I am not a mama that gives antibiotics unless I KNOW they need them. We don't vax and I question every little thing my peds do.

When my ped referred us to an ENT I was determined that we were going to do this without tubes. I found a highly recommended homeopathic Dr and saw him for a while. We had him on numerous herbs, vitamins, supplements, etc. We cut out dairy and even had him tested for allergies. I did as much as I possibly could because I did not want to have to do this to my child. It seemed against everything I stood for.
All the while, he still had ear infections.

Finally after so much prayer and consideration, we scheduled the appointment. The day he went in for tubes I was a mess! I cried all the way to the Dr!
He was only back in surgery for a very few minutes. Then they called us into recovery. I was not prepared for recovery. He was still very groggy and didn't want me to hold him but he was crying for me!( it was just the anesthesia!)
He had one ear infection ever after his tubes! They stayed in for a bit longer than most, but we never had any issues at all! It was a decision I am glad we made!

If I had to make the decision again, with another one of my children, I would still give it a ton of thought and make sure it was the right thing to do. But I am super happy with the results we had with ds.

Advertisement

dd 4/09 dd 1/11
dd 12/13 (24 wks) expecting twins 1/15
princessgirl409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Thank you everyone. I am just so torn. I want to make the right decision but what is that? I feel like we can try a few things first like allergy testing and homeopathic/herbs/oils and hope that prevents them until she grows out of it. Hoping she does, anyway. But at what point do you just say OK. I'm doing all this and its just not working. She is such a happy baby, and with the exception of going through a dairy intolerance she is so laid back and smiley. But when she gets ear infections shes just miserable, despite my giving her pain medicine. Its such a hard decision. And yes, antibiodics 5 times for a 6 month old is a crazy amount. And no, her "wonderful" pediatrician has no other solutions. I have found the pediatrician I want to take my kids to, just have to call tomorrow and see if they take our insurance. I really hope they do! Thank you everyone who has given their input
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Stamina
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy
Thank you everyone. I am just so torn. I want to make the right decision but what is that? I feel like we can try a few things first like allergy testing and homeopathic/herbs/oils and hope that prevents them until she grows out of it. Hoping she does, anyway. But at what point do you just say OK. I'm doing all this and its just not working. She is such a happy baby, and with the exception of going through a dairy intolerance she is so laid back and smiley. But when she gets ear infections shes just miserable, despite my giving her pain medicine. Its such a hard decision. And yes, antibiodics 5 times for a 6 month old is a crazy amount. And no, her "wonderful" pediatrician has no other solutions. I have found the pediatrician I want to take my kids to, just have to call tomorrow and see if they take our insurance. I really hope they do! Thank you everyone who has given their input
So sorry you're going through all this . My oldest son had tubes placed when he was 2 years old and my only regret is not having them put in sooner. He struggled for almost a year with ear infections and it started affecting his hearing/speech and his happiness. He was miserable for so long. It's so difficult to feel so helpless and see them hurting so badly. Immediately after his surgery, he was like a new kid. He is now 5-1/2 and his tubes fell out about a year ago. He has not had a single ear infection since.

I'd definitely get a referral to an ENT to evaluate her. Good luck to you, mama!
Stamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #14
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why is chiro not an option? Just curious :-)
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #15
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Re: Chronic ear infections/tubes?

Mama I think you just need to try every non surgical option first. See if it works. If it doesn't then try to embrace surgery. That was what I was trying to get at earlier and totally didn't.

Just a thought...I've heard that babies that have milk problems also have soy problems. Just something you may want to keep in mind.
Ellasundies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #16
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Everyone has given you great advice but I just thought I would give you my experience. Like you, my son has had ear infections on and off this entire winter. Even when he doesn't have an infection he has an extreme amount of fluid in his ears. As a result of this he is delayed in speech. We have not put tubes in his ears yet because of the fear of surgery but next winter, if he has constant ear infections and is still behind we will absolutely put them in.

It is incredibly hard to see my very bright son understand everything and not be able to articulate what he wants. I hope you figure everything out, but if she is having that many infections I am sure she has fluid in her ears most of the time which might delay her speech as well.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
rottenapple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chronic ear infections/tubes?

We had a wonderful pediatric ENT put tubes in DS's ears when he was 18 months after a battle with chronic ear infections which caused major scar tissue to form on his ear drums from rupturing so many times. This also resulted in mild hearing loss in both ears. After the tubes were put in and his ear drums repaired he started talking up a storm, regained full hearing in both ears and hasn't had an ear infection since. I have no regrets about getting the tubes, the surgery took all of 15 minutes, and both tubes have since fallen out.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to update. She will be 7mo on Friday and has had 8 ear infections. We got her allergy tested and it all came back negative. The ENT gave us a prescription for singulair to "dry her up" because she's got so much fluid in her sinuses and ears. She (the ENT) basically says its an anatomical issue and there's not much we can do but wait it out and treat the ear infections symptomatically. I am torn on the singulair because it doesn't seem to be making a jihe difference and constipated her. We are currently dairy and soy free as well.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #19
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids were the same and I agree. Ride it out. By 6, my oldest gets them less. His hearing is only affected during current infections, he is tested regularly. It's been a rough rough road. 2 sets of tubes and many allergy meds. The only thing that makes a difference is the nasal spray.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Question Re: Chronic ear infections/tubes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
Just wanted to update. She will be 7mo on Friday and has had 8 ear infections. We got her allergy tested and it all came back negative. The ENT gave us a prescription for singulair to "dry her up" because she's got so much fluid in her sinuses and ears. She (the ENT) basically says its an anatomical issue and there's not much we can do but wait it out and treat the ear infections symptomatically. I am torn on the singulair because it doesn't seem to be making a jihe difference and constipated her. We are currently dairy and soy free as well.
At this stage the ENT isn't recommending surgery?

For many children, ear infections have a major anatomical component. Babiesc eustacian tybes are more horizontal in some kids and cause fluid to siy and not drain. For both my boys the alternative is tubes. The tubes allow the fluid to drain out the rrr rather than sitting behind the drum getting infected, causing pain, hearing loss and speech deficits.

At this stage I would be looking for an ENT willing to put in tubes. The longer your baby has miffled hearing the slower her speech will come and the more likelihood of permanent damage. However, perhaps there is another anatony issue going on and that is why he won't do surgery.