Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes
Honestly I'd let a kid ride totally unrestrained in a car before ride a motorcycle.
Crap, I'd let my kid ride on the roof before a motorcycle.

That said I would let my kids ride size appropriate off road vehicles (like dirt bikes and quads) as long as they had gear, and were off road. I grew up riding, even competitively, but driving on the road at higher speeds with other drivers is way more risky IMO.

But I have a family member who lost both legs, then his life after a motorcycle accident, and another that lost a leg. Just too risky.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

I would not allow it, no way no how. Ive seen the aftermath of a motorcycle vs car accident, and the guy was wearing a helmet. Still landed in the ICU on several drips clinging to life. Its just not worth the risk, IMO. My ER buddies call anyone on a motorcycle without a helmet "organ donors". Morbid ER humor.
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

Re: Kids and motorcycles

My ex dh and I went to mediation over this because I am 100% against it. I don't care how safe of a cyclist you are, a lot of people die on motorcycles whether their fault or a car driver who isn't paying attention. He was putting my 5 yr old on the back of his, which didn't even have a seat back. No way jose. We now have it signed by a judge that she may not ride til she is 18. Of course, down the road, I may change my mind, but I don't trust him because he is a new rider and isn't very responsible, but we shall see. I could see if it was just around the block/neighborhood, but he was driving through the city streets, which let me tell you- aren't safe for anyone here! Ppl in Georgia suck at driving!
EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

if a kid needs a car seat how can it be legal/safe to be on a motorcycle? 5? and it's legal?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
kellismommi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...spx?stateid=49

This link has state by state motorcycle laws.
kellismommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Over my dead body. There's more of a chance of me allowing them to Seamus Romney the roof of my Suburban before I consented to them riding on a motorcycle.
Maybe a 4 wheeler on non-treacherous off road terrain with proper equipment. Maybe around 12. Going very slow. But not on a motorcycle with cars, trucks, semis, DUIs, and straight up idiot drivers out there. I like them to have good odds at keeping their parts. If that makes me over protective, so what. But FYI, none of us here attempted to wipe out an entire race.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #17
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

4 wheelers and such I'm okay with if its with a trusted person. Anything with only 2 wheels is a flat out no, I might be okay with a side car though at some point. We do our riding at either the inlaws farm or at DH's work which is in a really small rural town.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
taylor's mom
Registered Users

not sure of the laws, but with the injuries I've treated on kids who've been in a motorcycle accident, there is no way I'd be comfortable with my kids on a bike. I've had to work on 2 of my friends who ended up dying in bike accidents so I'm not even comfortable with dh riding anymore. I used to love to ride too, but not anymore. I'm hoping he'll sell his bike this summer!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
bama
Registered Users
seller

I dunno what the laws are but my 7 year old and 5 year old ride dirt bikes, and my oldest is hoping to start competing soon. No one in my family rides motorcycles.
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Once my kids are talk enough they can ride on DHs around town
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote