Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

How old

Were/will be your kids when you stop helping brush their teeth? How old when/will you stop supervising?

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #2
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old

I asked the dentist this the other day and he said generally they suggest to help with brushing until at least age 8. I told him some nights we let them do it on their own and he said that is good practice, or let them do it in the morning, and you do it at night so they get at least one good clean.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is 5 and brushes on her own with a battery operated tooth brush. DS is 2 I brush his then let him take over after about half way. I will continue to do his until he can brush almost properly. Then let him take over with a battery operated one as well. I supervise (by brushing my teeth at the same time) and probably will until they are old enough to remember to go in by themselves. They brush longer then recommended time since they aren't perfect at it. Usually after I brush ds', I brush mine. DD starts while I do ds'. They continue to brush until i am done.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
Shaunam
Registered Users

DS is 8 and I recently quit helping/supervising. I still check about 25% of the time to make sure he actually brushed and did a decent job. He's tried to not brush at all and get away with it before.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest is 5, he brushes and then at his night brushing I check and re brush the trouble spots just to make sure he's getting them really well.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
It will be a while. Teeth are super important so I think it's worth helping with/checking til your positive they can handle it on there own. I know I always tried to get away with not brushing my teeth adequately probably til I was like 12. Amazingly I didn't have any cavities til much later in life!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hmm, I guess it will depend on the child and how good of a job they do themselves. If dd is 8 years old and still isn't doing a very good job I'll still be helping, but if she's 5 and doing a great job I might not even supervise.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our hygenist and dentist both say that when they can tie their own shoes, they can brush their own teeth. I think that's a good "rule of thumb".
They do recommend that parents do the flossing until the child is about 10 years old.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest will be seven next month. Sometimes we let him brush solo, but usually we supervise and/or assist. He doesn't do a bang up job. His sister is five and does great, so she brushes independently about as often as him. Both of them can tie their shoes, but DD is quicker/more efficient at it so I think she's just a bit more coordinated.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest 2 are 6 and 7. I brush at night to make sure they got everything, and they brush in the morning for practice.