Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For the love of reading ARPIL thread

Do You Like to Read? Do you want to make reading a bigger part of your life OR are you already an avid reader but want someplace to discuss books and get book recommendations?

WELCOME!

This will be a monthly thread where we’ll set personal goals for reading, as well as discussing books. This also can be a place for you to keep track of how many/what books you’re reading to your kids, if you’d like.

How to Get Started:
First set a goal for yourself! You can challenge yourself to read a certain amount of pages or books per month/year. This is OPTIONAL - if you don’t want a goal that’s fine. Having one is just a tool to help some of us make sure we’re reading but its not a requirement to join in
If you do decide to set a personal goal you can post it here but you DON'T have to if you'd rather keep it private-this is NOT a competition and there is no prize for reading the most books lol!
Do whatever YOU want to do and most of all HAVE FUN with reading!

Second-get a book and start reading! When you’re done with a book it would be great if you could talk about it here-you don’t have to do a chapter by chapter summary but just a sentence or two about why you like/dislike it. This will help others find new books to enjoy themselves

And feel free to join in at any time! I've taken lead in starting this month's thread, but if anyone wants to start the new months if I forget - please do!

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the love of reading ARPIL thread

I am reading The Shenandoah Sisters series. They are excellent books and I highly recommend them to anyone that likes historical books. I am on book three right now, I have been finishing the books in a matter of hours. They are really that good.

Before these books I read Her Fearful Symmetry and I hated it. It took me a long time to read it because I disliked it that much. I really thought I would like it since I liked The time traveler's wife but this one was just really strange, I did not like the main characters and the end was just awful.

ETA - My goal is 50 books this year, I am keeping track on goodreads through FB. I am behind on my goal but I do not think it will take long to catch up if I can get the time to sit and read.

Last edited by whitneywalters; 04-08-2013 at 10:14 AM.
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm all about the paranormal lately. Two authors that I like had books out in the last month or so, and I just got to read them last week. Jeanienne Frost's Twice Tempted, and Lynsay Sands Immortal Ever After.

I started Elizabeth Hunter's Elemental Mysteries Series on Saturday, and I finished the first two books in two days. I just downloaded the third to start today.

I've also read the first ones in H.P. Mallory's Jolie Wilkins series and Dulcie O'Neill series. Amazon is getting me hooked on stuff with the free first book thing. I will probably read more of both of those.

On a slightly less paranormal vein, I also recently finished What Darkness Brings by C.S. Harris.

And I've been listening to the Outlander books on Audible. I've read them all before, but I had a free Audible credit and decided to use it on the first one. Now I have finished the first two and have to wait nine days for my next credit to get Voyager. I've never really listened to audio books before, I didn't think I'd like it, but I've enjoyed listening to these and its nice background noise while I am getting work down around the house.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This last year I am finally on track w/ keeping up with the house, keeping up w/ the littles-kind of and fitting in my reading . I have been reading ALOT of Karen Kingsbury (borrowed from friends) and started reading The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks last night. I downloaded a Cesar Millan book to my Kindle today since we will be bring home our new puppy in a couple of weeks.
I am anxious to read back to see what you are all reading
Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would like to do a book a week, but that means closing down this stinking computer earlier...no willpower I tell ya. I would love to get back up at 6am and read w/ coffee but, it never fails that at least one of my kids will sense that I am up and insist on joining me.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When do you all read?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Can I join? I love reading. I'm just finishing up Ahab's Wife by Naslund (wonderful!). I don't want to set a goal for myself since sometimes I can finish a book in a few days, other times I go weeks without reading. Before that I read Cider House Rules. I'm a big fan of Wally Lamb and Orson Scott Card. I have a list of books to finish that a friend loaned me, but I'm curious to see what others are reading!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

I'm so glad to find the thread! I recently finished "existence" and I have a love/hate relationship with it. I can't really say my dislike for it without a spoiler, but I couldn't get over what the main charicter was.

My next book is all business! Taking charge of your fertility, should be here on Wednesday!.

please forgive all typos due to auto correct's lack of mind reading abilities. :-)
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemama View Post
When do you all read?
I read whenever I get a chance. Normally late evening after kids are in bed.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters View Post
I read whenever I get a chance. Normally late evening after kids are in bed.
I try to but end up on the computer later than I plan and then I am falling asleep after the first chapter. I need to set a time and get off here.