Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #21
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the love of reading ARPIL thread

I am reading Lucky now.

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #22
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Hi! I'd love to join!
I've been reading a bit lately, since I discovered the library again
This week I read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, (Good enough, easy read) Peter and the startcatchers by Barry something (also good, I'd read the series if the library has em. It's an easy read) The Constant Princess by Phillippa Greggory (Great book, I love the historic stuff. I found it interesting because I disliked her so much in the other Boleyn sister but loved her in this one), and Still Alice by Lisa Genova (kinda of depressing, not my favorite).

I read pretty much everything. We're off to the library today for storytime in a bit so I'll come back and post with my new finds
I read a book by Gaiman a long time ago. Kinda whimsical, comedic magical realism yet with enough oomph to address serious and philosophical issues. Is this one like that?

I read Still Alice last year. It is a downer, frustrating as an outsider yet heartbreaking for her situation. I felt a deeper connection to it because of the problems my mom is having with grandma and her dementia :-( .
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawndelion View Post
My kids are a bit older so I do a lot of reading while waiting for them: in the pick up line after school, during gymnastics lessons, waiting for soccer games to start, etc. I have always been a crazy reader though, I've been known to read while blow drying my hair!

Now, I'm off to see how I can check out this book swap...
I LOVE this! I wish I was talented enough to do this. I was trying to read on the treadmill but when I am jogging and not walking I have to worry about not killing myself since I am not really in shape but, working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Haha Whitney that's the worst

I got Zoo by James Patterson, read that yesterday. I suck at summaries, but I liked it enough I think I'll try his others. It was about animals going crazy all around the world, basically. He doesn't write so well that I get attached to the characters ( at least in this one), but it's a solid storyline with a non-ending.

Now I'll start Reckless, by Cornelia Funke. I say that I read these so when my kids are old enough I know they are appropriate or whatever, but I totally have a guilty pleasure for YA lit.
I love James Patterson and have read some and have some to read but, havent the last couple of years since DH travels for work so I stay away from the murder/mysteries.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I read half of my Nicholas Sparks book at naptime and am working on staying off of the computer when the kids are sleeping since I get my most reading done then.
What types of books do you like or favorite authors?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
I read a book by Gaiman a long time ago. Kinda whimsical, comedic magical realism yet with enough oomph to address serious and philosophical issues. Is this one like that?

I read Still Alice last year. It is a downer, frustrating as an outsider yet heartbreaking for her situation. I felt a deeper connection to it because of the problems my mom is having with grandma and her dementia :-( .
Yes it was! A little dark, as the title suggests,but good. Theres a movie I really like that he wrote a book for too, Stardust, its similar in magic-ness
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemama View Post
I

I love James Patterson and have read some and have some to read but, havent the last couple of years since DH travels for work so I stay away from the murder/mysteries.
This one channels Stephen King more than murder mystery I love love love horror but since I've had kids, cant watch the stuff anymore, so I read as much as I can of it

Finished Reckless. Good for a YA book, its up my alley for an easy read.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

Oh I love Nicholas sparks books & more than that Karen kingsbury books. I've read more than half of her already published books. I have 2 of her books I still need to read before starting any new ones she has coming out. Everyone needs to read 1 book by her they are so real to life q
lilannies mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #27
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love Nicholas Sparks also. I own almost all his books.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #28
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That book looks interesting, Whitney. I'm going to have to add it to my "to-read" list. For sometime when I am in the mood for something intense.

I have never read a Nicolas Sparks book. Never read any Jodi Picoult either. Those are the two that everyone seems to love that I have just never been drawn to.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #29
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilannies mama View Post
Oh I love Nicholas sparks books & more than that Karen kingsbury books. I've read more than half of her already published books. I have 2 of her books I still need to read before starting any new ones she has coming out. Everyone needs to read 1 book by her they are so real to life q
Oh my I think Kingsbury is about my favorite! I just found her books this last year and have pretty much been reading them nonstop and still have more to go! I LOVE her books! Nora Roberts used to be my untouched top author but, I am loving Kingsbury. Also Debbie Macomber I used to love too but, havent read her for awhile.
I wish I was tough enough to read Patterson but, w/ DH gone often I have become a big wuss and cant even watch CSI anymore
Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #30
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawndelion View Post
That book looks interesting, Whitney. I'm going to have to add it to my "to-read" list. For sometime when I am in the mood for something intense.

I have never read a Nicolas Sparks book. Never read any Jodi Picoult either. Those are the two that everyone seems to love that I have just never been drawn to.
I read half of one Sparks and a handful of Picoult. You aren't missing much. They're typically good reads but have no substance, or very little substance, so that after you finish them you forget about them and they aren't really life changing. All of Picoult's books run together after a while. A similar style author but one that I prefer more than Picoult is Chris Bohjalian. Those have more of a psychological aspect and very deep character development that leave you sympathizing with the characters, and thinking about their decisions and situations long after you finish.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote