Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
vitamins/supplements for immunity help!

Please teach me about vitamins/supplements for myself and my 4/6 yo kiddos for immunity, both for prevention and to take when you first feel a cold coming on..... I'm overwhelmed!

Advertisement

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: vitamins/supplements for immunity help!

We use Innate Responce, they are food based supplements. They have a powder and tablets for kids. My 5 and 8 yo take the tablets. They are not chewable, the powder is a grape tasting drink. I like them because they are not synthetic vitamins, many supplements are made with synthetic vitamins. Many supplements are not tested for purity. Do your research. We buy from pureformulas.com. They have free shipping on any size order.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Regular probiotics can do a lot for keeping the immune system strong. E.g., Klaire Labs.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We take Fermented Cod Liver Oil/butter on a daily basis. We also eat fermented vegetables and have home-cultured dairy kefir on a daily basis, for probiotics. When I see that there is an illness in the home, I up the doses (or servings), then I add:

homemade elderberry syrup
and add a bit of zinc each day of the illness.

Taking out refined carbs also helps our immune systems. I had been so lax on our diets last year, and we paid for it, big time. We had the WORST cold/flu season last fall, despite our supplements and probiotics.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would eliminate if not reduce foods that cause inflammation (some are worse than others depending on your body) that can also compound the effect when you have a cold.

Processed dairy is one. Foods that cause excessive mucus; some notice this with citrus or drinks containing citrus. As much as I love OJ, I rarely drink them. A lot of processed foods contain hydrogenated oil like soybean and other cheap ingredients that can also affect your immune system.

Multi-vitamins, I would get quality chewables like Rainbow Light for children and whole foods vitamins like Mega Food, Rainbow Light, Garden of Life, etc.

Also increase the Vitamin C intake daily. I can't stress that enough 500mg should be good for children while adults they say 2,000mg is bare minimum. The only known side effects with OD'ng on Vitamin C and we're talking 10,000mg+ of Vitamin C a day would be upset stomach but even then it's water soluble so excess C will only be pushed out by the body. When you're sick you can easily do 5,000mg+ a day and your cold will be shortened. Even if you take medicine, the Vitamin C's power of healing, reducing inflammation and also lowers the risk of side effects.

Our regimen especially during colder months when there are people indoors is take Emergen-C before and after. It does help boost your immune system quite a bit and they do have ones for children. Hand washing is obvious but sometimes I'll do hot salt water gargle.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
agl
Registered Users

Vitamin D, Vitamin C, probiotics, Thieves essential oil are
agl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Hscute
Registered Users
seller
seller

We take probiotics, and elderberry tea
Hscute is offline   Reply With Quote