Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Armymom31
Registered Users

My Mood:
How to stop biting. PLEASE HELP!!

My 8mo old has started biting during feeding but she doesnt have teeth yet. She will bite down and pull and so i think that maybe i ran out and she is trying to get more by stimulating my nipples more so i switch sides and she continues to do it even though the new breast has plenty of milk. I need help before she cuts her teeth. She was doing it about a month ago and i said in a firm voice NO because the bump or some baby site said that babies are starting to recognize no and it worked until now and now its not working anymore. please please please.

p.s. i dont want to stop feeding until she says stop so quiting isnt an option right now.

Advertisement

Armymom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bites?

You yelp, OUCh!!! No bite!!! And set her firmly on the ground and walk away. No more nursing. Later, 15-20 minutes try again. After 2x my son got it. Only once with ds2. It can scare then to hear you yelp. They may cry. It's better if they do. Relationships like breastfeeding, can not continue when one is in agony. This is my method, that was recommended to me years ago from the most incredible breastfeeding advocate on kellymom. Worked for me. And many others
Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
mozartswannabe
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to stop biting. PLEASE HELP!!

My little guy is 6 months and cut his first teeth a few weeks ago, but in the couple of weeks prior he was doing the same thing and it hurt! If he bit me I stopped the feeding session. Obviously I wasn't letting him starve, we would pick back up where we left off in 15-30 minuets if we had to.
Maybe taking the boob away immediately after she does this will teach her not to use you as a chew toy if she want to continue to nurse. I like to think that ds picked up on it pretty quickly.
mozartswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Armymom31
Registered Users

My Mood:

I like the suggestions so far. It works with puppies, and breastfeeding is a very natural act so maybe reverting back to nature is the best way to approach this.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

When DS decides to bite (which is rare now) I say OUCH loud then No bite. I close up booby shop and do not let him nurse for 10-15 min. It works. He realizes if he bites, he has 6 teeth, that he gets no more booby.

I will tell you that my now 3 yr old never got it. He bit mt every time I nursed him hard. Even drew blood often. I finally stopped nursing him at 9 months and exclusively pumped for him.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Armymom31
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
When DS decides to bite (which is rare now) I say OUCH loud then No bite. I close up booby shop and do not let him nurse for 10-15 min. It works. He realizes if he bites, he has 6 teeth, that he gets no more booby.

I will tell you that my now 3 yr old never got it. He bit mt every time I nursed him hard. Even drew blood often. I finally stopped nursing him at 9 months and exclusively pumped for him.
She won't drink out of a bottle or sippy cup. Eats just fine from the spoon and will take water from a straw but only sucks on me. Lol
Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Bites?

You yelp, OUCh!!! No bite!!! And set her firmly on the ground and walk away. No more nursing. Later, 15-20 minutes try again. After 2x my son got it. Only once with ds2. It can scare then to hear you yelp. They may cry. It's better if they do. Relationships like breastfeeding, can not continue when one is in agony. This is my method, that was recommended to me years ago from the most incredible breastfeeding advocate on kellymom. Worked for me. And many others
This is exactly what we did. Worked like a charm.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armymom31 View Post
She won't drink out of a bottle or sippy cup. Eats just fine from the spoon and will take water from a straw but only sucks on me. Lol
And that's fine too. As others have said, don't let her nurse for another 15-30 minutes. She won't starve in that short amount of time. If she's really hungry, she'll catch on quickly that biting means no more milk and she won't do it again. (or more than a couple times more). But don't feel like you have to give her a sippy in between. She should *want* to nurse and she'll learn that biting means no more.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Armymom31
Registered Users

My Mood:
I feel really lucky she wants me because i hear about moms who have a baby who won't nurse and this was really important to me. I'll just have to work on this issue
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
sweetpeapumpkinbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Could she be teething? My son got his first two teeth at 4 1/2 months old (early, I know), and every time he was teething (and right after the teeth came through) he would bite a little. (I think he had to get used to having new teeth in his mouth each time.) Anyway, I would pop him off (use my finger to break suction) and tell him "Don't bite mama." I'd then put him right back on, I didn't make him wait. If it seemed like he wasn't really hungry, just hurting and wanting to chew on something, I'd say "You cannot bite mama. Here's something to bite." and then I would give him a cold teether. It worked for us. He never bit for long (a few days at a time), and he's still nursing at almost 19 months.

Last edited by sweetpeapumpkinbaby; 03-23-2013 at 09:24 AM.
sweetpeapumpkinbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding