Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What is your favourite baby item? The one you couldn't be without?

I am going to do without many baby items by choice but am wondering if there is anything newer that I really should try.
I have a wrap, vibrating chair, all my diapers etc, zip-up sleepers (HAAAAAATE snaps), silk baby undershirts, wool blanket, snugglewool, bamboo and wool nursing pads, Windi and Nose Frida, Aden&Anais muslin blankets, a Flentsted mobile, stroller (think I still have it) and a crib that never got used once by our last child. I'm not even going to assemble it - we will skip bottles and sippy cups as well.

Advertisement

mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
stephbrown13
Registered Users

Re: What is your favourite baby item? The one you couldn't be without?

I LOVE my Ergo! We use it from around 4 weeks, and sometimes I still use it for my almost 3 year old if he tires out on a hike etc. Otherwise, it's depended on the kid. #1 I couldn't have lived without Miracle Blankets those first few months. They'd instantly calm him down and put him to sleep. #2 is 15 months and since about 2 months old will only sleep sucking on an Aiden and Anais blanket... hates pacifiers, and it HAS to be an A&A. The Whoozit and Winkle Manhattan Baby toys were huge hits with both as well.
Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13

Last edited by stephbrown13; 04-08-2013 at 04:36 PM.
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
cheetah mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds to me like you have it all covered. If you dont find your stroller Graco has a cool new one (I want it but my car seat -not compatable- will expire after this baby uses it so I have to hold out til the next baby). It's called the Graco Modes Click Connect. I tried it out with my 14m/o and my almost 3y/o and it meets all the mommy tests.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I baby wear, but have an awesome custom carrier from last baby and I have a fantastic double stroller. (City Mini) As a mom on the go, those will be my two most loved items.

The only thing I "needed" was a more breast friendly bottle. While we have never had nipple confusion, I was hoping to find a bottle that worked more like a breast and had a bit slower flow in hopes that baby wouldn't be overfed while I was at work. I did not have too many problems keeping up with pumping with my kids, but I always struggle at the end and since I am hoping to donate milk to my friend who does not produce enough milk, I want to try and eliminate the overfeeding. My sister has several of the new medela nipples that she is giving me to try and I bought the mimijumi bottles as well so I would have a couple options right out of the gate. I hope to only be working 2 days a week, but we are working hard to pay off debt before I start school, so will depend on consistency of DH's job.

If I didn't know this baby was a girl, I would def guess it, because I am super chatty and can not answer a simple question these days, lol.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will probably also be destashing a lot of baby items within the first few months, lol... My sister had it all... she had a bassinet co-sleeper, a playpen, a vibrating bed thing, a jumperoo, a plug in swing, a travel swing, changing table, a couple of playmats, a bumbo, a bath chair, a bouncer, diapers, clothes, diaper bag, pump and pump supplies, bottles, nursing covers, car seat and two bases, the list goes on and on... she still has my crib, although I told her she could hang on to that until they are ready to move their dd to a bed because we are co-sleepers and generally have little babies. My babies slept in the bassinet co-sleeper until around 9 months and then we moved them to a crib simply because they were starting to pull themselves up on the side, not because they had outgrown it.

I tend to be fairly minimal when it comes to the large stuff, so I felt pretty overwhelmed by all the stuff she dropped off this week. I find my babies don't care for most the stuff people end up giving us and we end up getting rid of it. If the baby likes it, we will hang onto it, but none of my babies have liked the swing or bouncers, so I guessing those things will be out the door fairly quickly, but we will hang on to them for now because they are in good shape, were free, and this babe could be the opposite of the others.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I have a whole bunch of stuff from my last two.
With my last I couldn't live without the bouncy seat.... but this time I'll have a curious 2 year old on the loose, it'll probably just be safer to keep the baby in a carrier of some sort!
I will need a high chair eventually.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
From my second I needed swing. I couldn't live without. She loved it.

3rd likes some the swing...but can't live without sling with him which I could have used like 8 years ago with my oldest.

Oldest ok in bouncer & loathed the swing.

I wish I had positioner blocks looks like 2 triangles that you place at underpitsif same sized or one is smaller than other like for front & back if u need to put on side if baby if sniffly to help keep in one position that velcro together or used spearately...esp if you slant matress so baby not end up at bottom. I could use aqs boy tries to make hard to nurse to help hold him up when side nursing with my brachial plexus arm as I have to hold other boob from leaking profusely....

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 04-09-2013 at 12:34 AM.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

none of my kids have liked swings either, and im also pretty minimalist with baby stuff. i never do the nursery, crib, changing table, highchair (we use the fisher price booster seat), swings, bottles, sippy cups (after boob its straight to regular cups), etc. i do get a bouncer to use if im showering or cooking and i need them nearby but immobile- my infants didnt like it but they tolerate it.

i was in cambodia right before i got knocked up and i noticed that all the locals put their infants in a mesh hammock and they looked so peaceful and content. the hammock is almost like a thin, soft fishing net and they can breathe right through it. i had our friends in cambodia send me one (he sent us two) so that will be my new baby item this time. im excited to use it, we have hooks on our ceiling in the sunroom which are perfect for rigging this up.

pic of the type of hammock:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/68/200...fec_z.jpg?zz=1
Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepoet View Post
none of my kids have liked swings either, and im also pretty minimalist with baby stuff. i never do the nursery, crib, changing table, highchair (we use the fisher price booster seat), swings, bottles, sippy cups (after boob its straight to regular cups), etc. i do get a bouncer to use if im showering or cooking and i need them nearby but immobile- my infants didnt like it but they tolerate it.

i was in cambodia right before i got knocked up and i noticed that all the locals put their infants in a mesh hammock and they looked so peaceful and content. the hammock is almost like a thin, soft fishing net and they can breathe right through it. i had our friends in cambodia send me one (he sent us two) so that will be my new baby item this time. im excited to use it, we have hooks on our ceiling in the sunroom which are perfect for rigging this up.

pic of the type of hammock:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/68/200...fec_z.jpg?zz=1
That hammock is awesome! I wish you could get something like that in the US!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
812ajack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Swing, all of my kids loved it, so much that the last one wore it out so we are gonna be swing shopping soon We too have downsized a lot just out of lack of room. When you get to this many kids but yet have the same sized house you just have to thinkwhat are the must haves and those things that are sometimes nice to have but really you can live w/out