Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
77Lipen
Registered Users

Second hand diapers/second hand smoke

Ack. I just bought some used newborn aio diapers that are near perfect... Except they smell like cigarettes. How can I get that out? Blue dawn? Or just wash as usual?

Advertisement

77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
tjs77tsa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Second hand diapers/second hand smoke

Wash as usual and hang dry outside if possible everything my mom gives my kids even new with tags that has been at her house smells like that and she doesn't even realize it.
tjs77tsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Absolutely disgusting. Who the hell smokes in a house with children? This may be way beyond what others find reasonable but I would send them back and suggest a refund and for her to be honest and disclose that the come from a smoking household.
People disclose that they have dogs and dogs don't go near diapers. Smoke is airborne and nicotine sticks to everything. Sorry, I am just sickened by this.
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got a couple of AIO'S once that smelled like smoke. A few washings and line drying outside for the smell out. I think outside helped a ton, fresh air does wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
rangefibers
Registered Users
seller

This may sound judgey but I find it really odd that a smoker would cloth diaper no matter what angle I look at it. Cost? Environmental? Well-being of child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeneely View Post
Absolutely disgusting. Who the hell smokes in a house with children? This may be way beyond what others find reasonable but I would send them back and suggest a refund and for her to be honest and disclose that the come from a smoking household.
People disclose that they have dogs and dogs don't go near diapers. Smoke is airborne and nicotine sticks to everything. Sorry, I am just sickened by this.
The other I saw two parents smoking (and yelling) in their car with two in carseats in the back. It made me really sad and angry.
rangefibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
tuxgirl
Registered Users

Just to offer another possibility, I've seen mail carriers and truck drivers smoking, and have heard of instances where shipped items smelled like smoke as a result of the mail carrier or truck driver smoking in the truck.
tuxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Or there could be a non-parent living at the house and smoking... who knows (though I agree it's disgusting and shouldn't be anywhere near littles). I think I would probably do bleach and a squirt of dish soap and several hot washes.
meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
77Lipen
Registered Users

Well, you should see them now 3 were white and 3 were dark green.
Well the white ones are now lime green.

I'm guessing she dyed some of the white ones green. Lol

Ah well... Now what. They don't even look like what I bought.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

vinegar I think I have read helps?
Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yikes! I would just keep washing them by themselves until nothing else bleeds. Sorry that happened to you mama.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote