Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
buko
Registered Users
seller

How many SPOSIES does the average parent of a newborn go through?

Just curious! DH is bringing his eco-conscious but sposie-using coworker over to the dark side, and it got me thinking. (His babe is just a couple weeks older than ours.)

We have been using about 15-20 CDs per day with our newbie (our first-- 5.5 weeks old), though we have just started with EC and are already down to maybe 10 diapers/day. We change as soon as we notice wetness/poop/etc., but it occurs to me that sposie users can't necessarily tell when a diaper only has one pee in it? Is that right? Or sposie companies encourage them to wait a bit to change? I'm not sure, as I have never used a sposie on DD, and have barely changed any other diapers-- none at all for at least 10 years.

In your experience/observation/etc., how many sposies do most parents of <3 month olds use per day?

I know some try to get as much use out of them as possible, letting them sag with half a day's pee. And others change every hour or two, as if they were in cloth. But what about the average sposie user (of a ~newborn)?

Thanks!

Advertisement

buko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many SPOSIES does the average parent of a newborn go through?

Newborn sposies have a strip on them that change colors so you know as soon as they are wet. The average newborn will use 10-12 diapers a day regardless of cloth or sposie.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if I'm average or not....we used sposies with DS#1 as a newborn and went through 600 diapers in his first month (we counted.) The second month was similar. He cried whenever he peed so he was changed a LOT as a baby.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would say probably every 2 hours during the day and at night if still pooping.... So 8ish?
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is three months and I think I change about 8-10 CD's a day, we use disposables at night though and I don't change her at night anymore. If I get behind on laundry and I use disposables then I notice I change her less often because sometimes I can't tell that she is wet.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When I use sposies, I change at every daytime feeding and after pooping. So at that age, I went through about 8-10 sposies per day.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I never used more then 10 cloth or sposie. The Hospital said 5-6 times a day. Something about the ph levels in breastfed poop not beging harmful until solide. They thought I change too much and upsetting baby with too many changes was disruptive. Oddly they also covered the bassinetts so light didnt disrupt the babies lol. I think changing At first sign of wetness is More an American thing.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

For a NB I would say average was 12 a day, but some days more like 20 when I would be changing them and then they would poop or pee in the clean diaper before I even got it all the way on! So looking forward to using cloth with this next baby!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy
Newborn sposies have a strip on them that change colors so you know as soon as they are wet. The average newborn will use 10-12 diapers a day regardless of cloth or sposie.
Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

At some point during our DS' first month, we realized that to decrease blow-out risk we needed to change *before* each feeding. Then he would poop mid-feed and we would change *after* the feed. He nursed every three hours, so that's 16 diaper changes per day. There would usually be one wasted per day as well (peed on mid-change, tab broke off, etc.). By ~6 weeks I think we were down to more like 12 diapers per day. He started STTN at ~10 weeks so we then dropped down to 8-10. Now at 18 months it's generally 7-8 (11hrs of sleep at night, frequently dry for several hours in the afternoon including a 2hr nap).
meljc is offline   Reply With Quote