Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Bili Bed Suggestions?

Hey everyone! I had my DD 18 days early, so not technically a premie, but affected by jaundice due to our altitude and her age. We have a phototherapy bed here at home, but we're seriously struggling to keep her in it. We've tried putting her in a hat and using that to cover her eyes (instead of the fabric glasses), we've used a white noise maker, I try to put her in right after nursing when she's the most sleepy, but we aren't that successful. Tomorrow she'll be a week old and we're going back in for a follow-up and hoping that her levels are down enough that we'll get to discontinue its use.

She's been feeding and going through a good amount of diaper changes - about 13 or 14 a day at this point.

Thanks for any help you might have!

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bili Bed Suggestions?

Well, hopefully her levels go down before it's an issue, but if they're not low enough, maybe you can request a bili blanket instead of the bed. We used one for our fourth, and it was pretty easy to use. I put it under her clothes or blanket and used it almost all day. I left it on all night while we co-slept, too. Usually, I'd wake to find she had scooted off the blanket in the night, but I think she was getting some light at least part of the night. The unit we had was easily portable, so I could take it with me to the couch and put it in my lap to use while nursing.

BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bili Bed Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
Well, hopefully her levels go down before it's an issue, but if they're not low enough, maybe you can request a bili blanket instead of the bed. We used one for our fourth, and it was pretty easy to use. I put it under her clothes or blanket and used it almost all day. I left it on all night while we co-slept, too. Usually, I'd wake to find she had scooted off the blanket in the night, but I think she was getting some light at least part of the night. The unit we had was easily portable, so I could take it with me to the couch and put it in my lap to use while nursing.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. We had another high(er) reading than before, so we've finally really buckled down and done everything by the book. I was BFing in front of a sunny window, moved the bili bed in front of the window, soothed her by letting her suck on a finger, etc. I've been changing her on the bed, BFing, and immediately putting her back on it. On the recommendations of my nurse, I also gave her a vitamin D supplement.

Hoping this all works, hoping and praying for a lower number tomorrow!