Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

We used prefolds and covers mostly at home and pockets for daycare.

It was really important for my daughter to have stay dry at daycare. The absorbency in pockets are customizable and they wash/dry easier. I also needed something idiot-proof for the daycare providers. They go on just like a disposable and, except for the potential for them to fasten too tight, there wasn't much left for them to screw up. (Sorry I am particularly annoyed with the daycare today).

I initially bought a whole stash of Imagine one size pockets. They are super soft and squishy, and the price can't be beat. However, I later I bought some used BumGenius pockets and now wish I had a whole stash of them. They were much trimer and I had much less leaking issues with them. They have a layer of PUL on the inside tummy area, so never leaked when my tummy-sleeper took a nap. The Imagine did usually leak at nap time because they don't have that feature.

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
HappyMomma7202012
Registered Users

Re: Pocket diapers: What's the big deal?

I have gone back and forth on pockets and prefolds. I love pockets for the itty bitty stage as they are super easy to use. Then when DD hit about 6 months I started to hate stuffing pockets so I bought some osocozy better fit prefolds and I love them. I now much prefer prefolds and covers. However, I do like pockets for naps or I want a quick diaper change. Pockets are also what works for my husband, if he changes dd and she has a prefold on he always throws the cover in the diaper pail or the laundry. From here on out I will be utilizing prefolds a lot more.
HappyMomma7202012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a full stash of pockets.

I timed myself once...because I just wanted to know!

It takes me only 5 min to stuff an entire load of pockets. So, in 15 min per week, I have all my diapers stuffed and ready to go. I don't think that is much time at all.

I have tried everything, here's why I like pockets best:

Easy to use
Trim
The poo is easier to clean off
Easy to clean
Quick to dry
Stay dry
Customizing absorbancy
One size (though lots of other options have this feature)
Doesn't stain

I definitely recognize there are cheaper options out there, but even at full retail, my stash is valued at $720. That's still a sizeable savings over sposies. And only $450-500 more than the very very cheapest of options. Which, to me, isn't that much more when divided over 2+ years of use. I am cloth diapering to save money, but I felt like that's still a good enough value.

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #24
ParkersMommy7611
Registered Users
seller

Pre folds and snappis never fit on my son very well and AIO's are to expensive although we do have a few organic AIO's for times that he's in his carseat for more than an hour because that's when his pockets seem to leak the most. We use mostly charlie banana pockets and some receiving blankets as pad folded flats with covers.
ParkersMommy7611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
simplykarenp
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wish it only took me 5 min to stuff my pockets. I use flats so I have to fold them first. Then stuff. So it probably takes me about a hour to fold and stuff. I do it at night watching while watching tv.
simplykarenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
iheartua07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlynemma
Hi mamas! So I'm brand new to CDing but have decided to go the route of prefolds and covers. I do have a couple pocket diapers tho that I'm curious about.
So my question to you experienced mamas out there is, why use pockets?
You can only use them once and have to stuff each time which I feel is just as much of a "pain" than snappi'ing a prefold on but you are able to reuse the cover many times before it needs to be washed. So why not use AIO?
I can see it being good for multiple inserts i.e. at night
Stuffing takes me all of 5-10 min and I do it in the evenings while watching tv. Many AIOs take a long time to dry whereas pockets with inserts don't. However, if you are trying to be more budget conscious then pockets may not be for you. I don't buy china cheapies so I can't attest to the quality of those.

ETA I also like pockets for the stay-dry, the ability to modify absorbency as needed and that they are daddy and DC friendly.

Last edited by iheartua07; 04-10-2013 at 07:25 PM.
iheartua07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #27
Schelle77
Registered Users
seller

I thot the same thing when I started.... Pockets are just runner for me they keep baby's skin dry bc the prefolds doesn't wick away but the inner fleece lining of pockets does and the liquids stay in the insert I have alvas and sunbaby and love them so much easier for grandparents and when on the go I still play with prefolds at home tho!
Schelle77 is offline   Reply With Quote