Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Kaitlynemma
Registered Users
seller

Pocket diapers: What's the big deal?

Hi mamas! So I'm brand new to CDing but have decided to go the route of prefolds and covers. I do have a couple pocket diapers tho that I'm curious about.
So my question to you experienced mamas out there is, why use pockets?
You can only use them once and have to stuff each time which I feel is just as much of a "pain" than snappi'ing a prefold on but you are able to reuse the cover many times before it needs to be washed. So why not use AIO?
I can see it being good for multiple inserts i.e. at night

I'm more on the frugal cloth diapering side of things and can't convince myself to buy a whole stash of one time use pockets or AIO's.
So what am I missing? Please do tell! I'm open to trying new and all things.

Sidenote: anyone have experience with the cheap eBay diapers? Sun baby...alva etc

Advertisement

Kaitlynemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Pocket diapers: What's the big deal?

I really like my alvas. I have some that I have used for over a year and they still look new. People go for pockets because they have the ease of an aio. Also it is impossible to find cheap aios. Pockets also have customizable inserts and they wash up much easier than aio.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just like pockets because they are easy to put on my lo when he is squirming around versus trying to get a prefold on him. I also like fitteds with a cover for the same reason. I prefer pockets to AIOs because they dry faster (though I do use both). Stuffing the pockets isn't so bad - I usually make a game out of it w/ my lo. I had some Sun babies that I bought on Craigslist but they weren't as absorbant as my BGs so I ended up getting rid of them. I haven't tried any of the other cheap eBay diapers. I found that I could buy used reputable name brand diapers for about what I'd pay for a new cheapie.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
rainbowgirl28
Registered Users
seller

Pockets are easier and faster to use than a prefold, especially for dads/grandparents/daycare, but dry faster and have more customizable absorbency than an AIO.

As far as Chinese cheapie diapers go, most are decent quality. Stay away from BabyLand/BabyCity, they delaminate easily and have poor reviews.

I have used Alva and JC Trade and like them a lot, I've seen a lot of good reviews for Kawaii and Sunbaby as well. Shop around, there are generally better places to buy them than eBay.
rainbowgirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like them for these reasons

Stay dry inner
Customizable with inserts
Easy to put on squirming baby
Dry really fast

Also you say that stuffing pockets is just as time consuming as snappi-ing only I can stuff my pockets while dd is in bed & a snappi I have to spend the time making her wait while I get the snappi just right.

Also I like alva and sun baby okay. Alva minky pockets leaked horribly. Alvas are more wide thru the crotch than sunbaby. Sunbaby does have the tummy panel of PUL fabric on the inside just like the bum genius & diaper safari pocket diapers do.

Don't buy babyland or other cheapo pockets off eBay- they were not even waterproof in our experience.

Our 2 favorite brands of pockets are bg 4.0's (we only buy them as seconds from cotton babies website & there is never anything wrong with them even tho they claim to be irregular) & we also love our diaper safari pockets- & their website does b1g1 free a lot

Hope this helps you -happy diapering!!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
amyrosita
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started out with covers and pf's, and have now pretty much switched over to pockets and inserts. This nice thing about inserts is that you can use those in covers, too. I can't honestly tell you why pockets over covers. It seems silly to buy a bunch of stuff that you can only use once, but I really do love them. And if you buy inserts as opposed to prefolds, it makes the process even easier, since you don't have to wrap a wriggle worm, and it would be less a 'stuffing' process as a 'laying the insert in the cover' thing. So that said, I do both, but more pockets. I do love my Thirsties wraps, though!
My fave pockets are Sunbabys and Rainbow BB (ebay). They've been issue free. I didn't have good luck with Alvas, but a lot of mamas really love them, and they are cheap. I get all of my stuff through co-ops that I've found through FB, and that makes everything MUCH more affordable! Hope this helps.
amyrosita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

my pockets can take a beating and I can stuff before and just tell sitter which piles to use for which kid...and even my church will use my pockets if a more seasoned watcher of kids as they are like disposables diapers vs prefolds I don't think my church people would touch with a 10 foot pole. I can custom as my baby boy out pees my toddler. My pockets will go to 60 some pounds as I tried on my 60ish pound kid vs prefolds and covers that you have to size up on all the time and after I find all the pockets I like I don't have to get anymore/ sell to get others like in prefolds/sized as I am on a budget even with selling you don't get all your money back some of the time.

I hear more daycares will use pockets so I am set there if I need to go that route. My oldest 8yrs will touch them and have changed my toddler but I don't think she either would do prefolds and covers.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love our pockets because they are so easy for sitters, daycare, grandparents, etc - they work just like disposables. They are also customizable re: absorbency which has proven very important to us as DS is a HW. As others have mentioned, it gets much harder to pin or snappi a pf in a baby after they get a bit bigger and more active. I loved our pfs when DS was tiny but I prefer faster options now, especially when we are out if the house. Finally, I love our pockets now if there is poop. DS still doesn't always have ploppable poop and the pockets are by far the easiest to spray.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
abhernandez
Registered Users

I love ours bc of the stay dry fabric, the ease of increasing absorbency, the fact I can separate the inserts and wash them really hot, and the quickly dry time. They also seem way more durable than any aios.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

I use mostly prefolds/flats with covers, but I also have about a dozen pockets and AIOs combined. I like the pockets because they dry faster than AIOs, I can ditch the microfiber insert it comes with and stuff it with a cotton flat, they are an easy-on o e piece diaper that DH, sitters and even I appreciate at times. They are great for the diaper bag.

I think if I had an entire stash of pockets I would be sick of stuffing, but as I use them mostly occasionally it isn't too bad. I can also put off stuffing them since they are not the majority of my stash. For me, I love them and they definitely serve their purpose here, but I'm still mostly a prefold/flat kinda gal.
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote