Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

When do you consider a child PTed?

Do you consider your child potty trained when you take them into the bathroom each time they need to go?
I do not think of my child as being potty trained until they can go in the bathroom at home by themselves, remove their clothing, do their business, wipe, put their clothes back on with minimal assistance and wash their hands properly. It's really hard for littles to get their back on straight.

What do you consider potty trained?

My youngest child is 29 months old and he has been fully potty trained for almost 2-3 months, but I think that he is an unusual case, he is almost completely non-verbal. He just has to do everything by himself so I think that is why he potty trained.

Advertisement

babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: When do you consider a child PTed?

To me, potty trained is about the actual act of going potty. IMHO, getting the clothes off, back on, washing hands etc, I think that all of that is a part of the process, but for me, knowing when and how to actually go on the toilet is potty trained. I would still call a child potty trained even if that child still needed help with all that additional stuff.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Potty training for our family is knowing when to go, using the potty alone washing the hands clean and having no accidents.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't bother with potties. Once our kids were accident-free, they were toilet-trained.
Just as our kids weren't 'walking at 9mos'. First steps are just that - first. First few times on the toilet were 'starting to use the toilet'.
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
Potty training for our family is knowing when to go, using the potty alone washing the hands clean and having no accidents.
here too. If they can't go by themselves, they are trainING, not trainED
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
Yep! Us too.
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
ladiebug2663
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow. Haha, i consider knowing when to potty, sitting on it and making it happen potty trained. My LO is 18 months and we are potty training, she is learning to put on her own pants, but i take them off for her and she is learning to tell me when she needs to go. The rest i just consider independent skills. I find it hard to see a 2 year old working snaps and buttons in pants. Also my daughter is small and it will be a looong time before she can reach the sink and even longer before i trust her with the hot water faucet.
ladiebug2663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
NCMommy119
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with most of you. To me, they aren't potty trained until they can handle things by themselves. It's more 'Mommy trained' to me if they are only going because I physically sit them on the potty/toilet.