Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I tend to do soups and stews a lot. When a friend recently had her third, I brought fresh, hot soup one night, along with three containers of frozen soup. She said her favorite thing about the frozen soup was that she could drop it in her crockpot fairly early and just leave it. Dinner could happen whenever someone was hungry; no planning involved.

I cook huge batches of soup several times a month and toss the leftovers in the freezer in single serving sizes. Then, anytime someone wants soup for lunch or whatever, just warm it up. If its going to be a soup and sandwich kind of night for dinner, I warm up a couple of portions. Then again, we love soup around here.

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Ncmartin
Registered Users
seller

Check on Pinterest! It's full of great freezer meals.
Ncmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
cdrake
Registered Users
seller

Re: Best freezer meals for new mom?

casserole/lasagna...if you make a big batch put it into 2 or 3 pans instead of one large pan...we loved lasagna or a big casserole, but it took us too long to eat the entire pan so having some frozen was nice.

if you do soup, be sure to bring some good bread along and easy veggies, dessert. it's nice to have someone bring the WHOLE meal, not just main course.
cdrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Baked spaghetti (half a box of Barilla Plus pasta, cooked and drained + 3 cups spaghetti sauce [homemade or jarred], topped with 6-8 oz. shredded cheese, baked until heated through and the cheese melts) + a loaf of frozen garlic bread + a bag of salad greens. The unbaked casserole can go in the fridge for a day or two and be baked alongside the garlic bread whenever. This will serve approximately 3 adults.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Breakfast casserole or a batch of breakfast burritos for the freezer.
White bean chicken chili
Pizza place (that delivers) gift card

Meal challenges were breakfast and lunch for me, since dh was usually home to help with dinner.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
babymakes3.4.5....
Registered Users
seller
seller

My mom's group takes meals to everyone who has a new baby in our church (including our members!). I have taken Chicken and Biscuits casserole (allrecipes), Cottage Pie (a lot like Shepherd's Pie), and meatloaf. Things I have received are tater tot casserole, soups (I love this, the family doesn't so much), lasagna, taco meat with all the fixings, and pork and rice casserole.

I think it's a really nice touch too, to take an ENTIRE meal! Yes, it's simple enough to make your own side dishes, but taking a salad (and dressing) or a loaf of bakery bread, and then something for dessert (my favorite for summer is just vanilla ice cream with a carton of strawberries for toppings) really puts an "I really put some thought into this" touch to the gesture
babymakes3.4.5.... is offline   Reply With Quote