Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #21
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Double stroller for almost 4 year old? Just for long walks? Suggestions?

My kids walked on their own on hikes that were a few miles long at that age. They also went on trails in their balance bikes or regular bikes at that age. They went a little ahead of me in the balance bike but I could always see them and they knew to stop if they were getting to far ahead. They were not going that much faster where I couldn't keep up. They loved riding their bikes on the trail.

Advertisement

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 04-13-2013 at 11:19 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
mkrisel
Registered Users

We bought an old Phil and Teds off Craigslist for a trip to Disneyland. I've used it for exercise as well. It works great for walking, but I don't like running with it down the hill because the bottom seat goes where I want to put my feet . But we live in a very hilly area. Our girls are 3 and 5 months. The 3 year old is tall-almost 40 inches and fits great.
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
We still use our BOB Revolutiona Duallie with our 4-year-old. It handles uneven terrain wonderfully! We go on a lot of walks around here, and some of the walks are quite long. So although my 4-year-old might walk part of the way, she usually asks to get into the stroller at some point because she needs a break.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #24
Erinne
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
We still use our BOB Revolutiona Duallie with our 4-year-old. It handles uneven terrain wonderfully! We go on a lot of walks around here, and some of the walks are quite long. So although my 4-year-old might walk part of the way, she usually asks to get into the stroller at some point because she needs a break.
How is pushing the duallie with the size difference of kids or just one kid in it? I'm still trying to decide if I want a double for when #2 is born and #1 will be 4, but part of my concern is that it would pull to one side when the weight is uneven.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #25
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinne

How is pushing the duallie with the size difference of kids or just one kid in it? I'm still trying to decide if I want a double for when #2 is born and #1 will be 4, but part of my concern is that it would pull to one side when the weight is uneven.
We bought it when my oldest was 2 and my youngest was a newborn. They are now 2 and 4. I've never noticed any issue with it pulling or anything like that. I don't even notice the weight difference from one side to the other. Maybe I would between a newborn and a 4-year-old? Can't say for sure. But I haven't noticed with my two kiddos. I thought I would ask my husband too since he uses it most. He says he does notice some pulling but that it is not all that noticeable and he thinks it is much less than other strollers. He also said that there is an adjustable shock on each side which helps. You are supposed to have each side adjusted to the same level, but he has each side adjusted differently according to each kid's weight and that has helped. But really, I can steer the stroller with one hand and very little effort because it steers so easily. Even with both kids in it. So that is probably why I wouldn't notice. It takes so little effort to steer that even when I turn I hardly notice.

I would suggest, however, seeing if you can find one to try your 4-year-old in. My 4-year-old is pretty small, so she still fits in it fine. But I have heard from some moms of bigger 4-year-olds that their kids' heads start getting close to the top of the shade canopy if that makes sense.

Last edited by Janine; 04-14-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
Erinne
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
We bought it when my oldest was 2 and my youngest was a newborn. They are now 2 and 4. I've never noticed any issue with it pulling or anything like that. I don't even notice the weight difference from one side to the other. Maybe I would between a newborn and a 4-year-old? Can't say for sure. But I haven't noticed with my two kiddos. I thought I would ask my husband too since he uses it most. He says he does notice some pulling but that it is not all that noticeable and he thinks it is much less than other strollers. He also said that there is an adjustable shock on each side which helps. You are supposed to have each side adjusted to the same level, but he has each side adjusted differently according to each kid's weight and that has helped. But really, I can steer the stroller with one hand and very little effort because it steers so easily. Even with both kids in it. So that is probably why I wouldn't notice. It takes so little effort to steer that even when I turn I hardly notice.

I would suggest, however, seeing if you can find one to try your 4-year-old in. My 4-year-old is pretty small, so she still fits in it fine. But I have heard from some moms of bigger 4-year-olds that their kids' heads start getting close to the top of the shade canopy if that makes sense.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #27
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a bumbleride indie twin with a 3yo (very much like a 4yo in size though!) and a 16mo. The older will have to leave its place for te newborn baby due in may so I might have to attach a buggy board for occasional rides (if baby wont be in the carrier) since we walk every day to the park or groceries.
Bumbleride indie twin has a long seat back and even higher canopy for tall kids. IU should check the you tube review of babygizmo to know exactly the measurements.
It's a great stroller for terrain, two front wheels, and all are air filled tires plus there's a great suspension system on the rear wheels (IMO much smoother ride than the BOB strollers!).
If u need to fold it, it folds well because seats are "kept clean" (the fold keeps the seats folded on the inside if YKWIM) so I love that as well.
Also it has an adjustable handle height, which I believe other strollers of that category do not have.
I found mine on Craigslist and there are always a couple of them so it's an easy find.
HTH!
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #28
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love my Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double. I bought it last year for my then 3 and 4 year old because when I go walking with my friend, we will walk for hours and the children simply can not be expected to keep up at our pace for extended periods of time. (I had a double graco that had become difficult to push as they grew and the frame started to bow after a summer of serious outdoor walking.) They are now 4 and 5 and both continue to comfortably fit. It is so easy to push them in this stroller, even though they weigh more than they did at 2 & 3 it is so much less work than my graco double was to push. They get in and out a lot because they enjoy walking, but when they can no longer stay ahead or keep up, they jump back in. This summer I will continue to allow both of them to ride and will wear the baby. My husband was not pleased about spending so much money on a stroller for them last year, he was also of the belief that the children could walk, but I sold diapers and things around the house I didn't need to buy the stroller and it is the best investment I have ever made. I do not regret it one bit. It is lighter in weight and folds up nicely. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #29
Elia
Registered Users
seller

We love our BOB Revolutiona Duallie for our 4 year old twins. When we went to purchase it, the seller told us to get in it as it is such a great stroller it can stroll adults. (My husband is 6'2" and I am 5'7"). Well, it worked! It is a great little stroller, and while my kids are on the tall end, they still use it for the really long fast walks that we take.
Elia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #30
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We walk nightly. My 6 and 2 year olds ride in our Mountain Buggy Urban Double. The 4 year old has to ride separately because of his "issues" and either goes in a Baby Jogger City Mini or on my back in a Baby Hawk Oh Snap.

If I had it to do over, I'd get the City Mini GT double instead, though. The canopy and the fold on the Mountain Buggy suck.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 04-15-2013 at 09:19 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote