Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Is it possible that my kid remembers this?

When my son was 8 months old he had just started pulling up on things. I was baking and had the oven door open thinking hubby was watching him--I was wrong. Babe grabbed the open oven door to pull up and burned his fingers.

We ran them under cold water, and they didn't blister or even turn red, and they didn't seem to hurt him after a little while. He had cried for a few minutes, but no more.

Fast forward to tonight. He is nearly 15 months, and I had the oven on to warm leftovers for dinner. He was standing at the closed oven door and trying to open it. I got down next to him and was explaining that the oven is not for Seamus, that it's dangerous and hot, yada yada, and once when he was a little baby he burned his fingers on the oven and got hurt. He *stopped* whining and stared at me. Then he yanked his hands off the door, put them together and got a pained expression.

I asked him if he remembered hurting his fingers and he held them up to my face to kiss! I thought surely it was a coincidence, because a moment later he was back to whining wanting to open the oven. Again, I said it's not for Seamus, it's hot, it's for mommy to use, and once your fingers were burned on the oven. I was careful not to change my voice or expression when I said that last part. Again, he yanked his hands away and held them together like they were injured, then put them up for me to kiss.

So be honest... is this just a fluke? Did he hear the suggestion of having hurt hands and just act it out? Or do you think he actually remembers burning himself? For what it's worth when I tell him other things can hurt him (doors, knives, etc.) he never seems to care.

Advertisement

Last edited by Palooka; 04-11-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it possible that my kid remembers this?

Interesting, but unfortunately I can't even guess whether he remembers or not. Of course, I've heard that there are people who can remember their births. How true all that is, I don't know.

Looking forward to other people's suggestions.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
7mom7
Registered Users

Who knows! DS1 remembers everything. It's kind of weird. We moved into a new house before he turned 3 and he can still give you directions how to get to the old one...it's 30 minutes away! At age 2 he was telling me stories like, "when I was a baby and couldn't talk." Now with DS2 I see that isn't really "normal" but I didn't know the difference back then. It's awesome in some ways and kind of sucks in others. I can't sneak anything by him.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
HotPotato1010
Registered Users

My Mood:

That sounds totally possible. If he doesn't understand the exact words you were saying, I'm sure he understood your tone of voice and the oven door and the pain. Now that we're on kid #2, my eyes are opening up and I'm learning to give kids a lot more credit. They're smart and they do remember things.

Wifey to DH May 8, 2010
Mommy to Eva Oct 31, 2010 (2.5 years old!)
Mommy to Olivia Apr 30, 2012 (1 year old!)
HotPotato1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I doubt he remembers and I think it's more likely that he just heard the suggestion of hurt hands and acted it out. Which in itself is pretty cool IMO, but I don't think it's an indication of remembering.

The biggest reason I think it's unlikely he remembers is because it doesn't sound like it was that traumatic. You said his fingers didn't turn red and that he didn't cry for much. Babies receive all kinds of injuries on a similar level, from crawling around, boinking their head, falling over when sitting up etc etc etc. It doesn't sound like there was anything about this particular injury to separate it out from all the rest. If he had to have stitches, end up in the ER or something like that I might think it was more likely.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have no trouble believing that he remembers it. My 3yo DS remembers things from when he was pretty young. I get the impression that small kids remember things just like an adult would, but some where down the line there is a cognitive shift and we forget the really early stuff.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

My DD just did something recently that made me wonder the same thing. She found my breast pump in a cabinet, brought it over to me and put it up to my boob. She's almost 2, and she probably saw me pump a handful of times, the last time probably at 11 months. She remembers, I guess, it just really surprised me that she knew exactly what to do with it.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
I have concluded he probably does remember. I have tried to get that same reaction from other things since then, such as electrical outlets, even talking about his burned fingers and using the same language I used before, with no response at all. But when I'm at the oven and talk about it while holding his fingers, he looks right at me and rubs his fingers together. It's made me rethink some other things I thought I knew about very young children!
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I definitely believe it. My oldest remembers EVERYTHING. He did like PP's son and also said things like, "when I was a baby and couldn't talk." He was always accurate in remembering, but I assumed it was all fluke...nothing was ever traumatic or rememberable...just regular life. Now, as a six year old, he can tell you the exact date and time that he went to any event. Made playdough 2 months ago? He remembers. Saw a movie last year? He remembers. Since he learned how to read a calendar, he's remembered countless dates and keeps them in his brain for at least a year, since thats how long he's known the calendar.

My other sons have never shown any signs of his memory, so I think its just a gift some people have. Lucky him! I can't remember something 5 minutes after you tell me!

Last edited by harmoni247; 04-16-2013 at 12:57 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

I think it's possible he remembers.

But I think you should get a lock on your oven door.