Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
kaitl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Newborn recommendations needed

You might also look into a nice mei tai - you can use them with little squish and also as the babies get bigger and they can be used for front and back carries. They hold baby close to the body and support their full back in tummy-to-tummy.

I have a babyhawk MT, but I would probably invest in a slightly higher end brand (maybe a wrap-conversion or something) if it was going to be my only carrier. My BH MT is my "car carrier" (e.g., it stays in the car for trips to the store).

Advertisement

kaitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
Sdayfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The mei tai does not look as secure as my moby wrap. I love it and the instructions are easy! My DS has been put in it since he was big enough to fit! With newborns I like that I can cover his head (face facing towards the middle not facing me) and that really supported him especially when I bent over. Only drawback for me is that the straps are 20 miles long so it is not something I can just put on anywhere since I don't want it touching the ground.
Sdayfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
Dan&Leah
Registered Users

I agree a Moby!! I made mine. I now have 4 from making my own. Just get 6 yards thick knot and cut it in half long ways and cut the ends into vs there ya go mama
Dan&Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Dan&Leah
Registered Users

Knit* not knot lol
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Dan&Leah
Registered Users

If you have a Walmart they have some there for $1 a yard !!! Make a wrap for $6 :-)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm not an expert at all but I never got the hang of my Moby and didn't use it much with DD. With this LO I plan to get a ring sling.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

I love my woven wraps. I have a Storchenwiege Stripes (though I hear the Leos are softer and easier to break in) and I just got a Bali Breeze. I've had the Storch since my (now 10 mo) DD was a newbie and have used it a ton. I didn't ever use a Moby. From what I understand they're really only useful until about 15 lbs. I wanted something that would last longer. Wrapsody also makes a stretch hybrid wrap that is soft like a stretchy wrap, but closer to a woven in terms of support.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
sugardumplings
Registered Users
seller

I would suggest against a Moby or Boba wrap, both are stretchy and will be uncomfortable once your baby is about 12-15 lbs. And it is not recommended to back carry in either of those!
I would recommend a woven wrap! Its like the big brother of the stretchy wraps! You're going to be able to use a woven from newborn until...well forever! Ive seen pics of adults in wovens (just to show how strong and how much weight they can handle). There are tons of different brands of woven wraps and different sizes and fabric contents. I love babywearing and sharing the babywearing love and knowledge! If you have any questions Id be happy to help!
sugardumplings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
CherriNicole
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrave View Post
Don't mean to hijack- I'm looking for newborn carrier too. What is the difference between boba wrap and moby wrap?
I would love to know this as well. Im due in a few weeks and don't know what one to get and I'm too poor to try both lol.
CherriNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
Casondra87
Registered Users
seller

I loved my Moby and it was super easy to use. I nursed in it too. It wasn't difficult for me. I just watched youtube videos on how to nurse in it and practiced before I did it in public. A ring sling is a lot easier to nurse in though.
Casondra87 is offline   Reply With Quote