Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
mkbdvm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Temping question

Hi ladies!

I have just started charting again and wake at random times early in the morning. Because of this, my temps are jagged on my chart from either not getting a 2 hour chunk of sleep or from temping early.

Do you ladies set an alarm and temp in the middle of the night? I am usually awake for the day around 5:15 or 5:30 but am almost always up to pee between 3 and 4.

Suggestions?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Temping question

You can take it at 3 or 4am as long as you get 3-4 consecutive hours of sleep before waking up.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
mkbdvm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the reply! But do I need to then take it at 4 every day?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, you need to take it at the same exact time every day or within 20 minutes of your regular temping time to avoid having to adjust your temperature recording for the day.

If you temp outside the 20-minute window, then your temps will need to be adjusted. The rule is you adjust it 0.1 degrees F for every 30 minutes outside your normal temping time.

BUT you cannot adjust a temperature that was taken more than 90 minutes from your normal temping time since that is prone to too much error. The temperature you took that day will have to be discarded -- not recorded on your chart.

Also... 0.1F is just an average for most women. Some women find (through experience) that 0.1F adjustments aren't accurate for them. But the 0.1F adjustment rule is accurate enough for most charters.

This is what I did to make my BBT charts as accurate as possible back when I was actively TTC:
1. Temp at the exact same time every morning using an alarm.
2. Use an accurate digital thermometer with newish batteries. (I had old ones that were WAY off with corroded batteries).
3. Temp vaginally.
4. Always temp before moving or getting out of bed.
5. Limit or eliminate alcohol before bedtimes. This can throw off temps for some women.
6. Get a solid 3-4 hours of sleep (or more) before my temping time.

And that's hard to do every day! whew!

ETA: I got this information from the TCOYF book. It is also avialble on their website here: http://www.tcoyf.com/wikis/tcoyf/tem...-amp-time.aspx

Last edited by ardeur; 04-12-2013 at 04:18 PM.
ardeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
I just started temping this month. I temp between 5-6am and sometimes as late as 7. I just do it at the first moment I realize I'm awake then I check the time, otherwise checking the time first I'm too awake and my temps are less consistent. My temps may not be quite as accurate, but there was no denying when I o'd! It was a dramatic difference! I've seen several ladies here recommend trying it on the more flexible schedule and see if you can see the pattern. If the temps are too erratic, then you know you have to temp at closer to the same time each morning. Honestly I felt really intimidated about trying to do it at the same time and when I relaxed about it I slept better (not stressing) and it went much smoother. Good luck!

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
mkbdvm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Elisha and "ardeur"! Gonna try temping vaginally and when I first wake!