Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #121
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Simple moms of girls... Anyone with me?

Really it seems like this is coming down to personal preference and how not choosing to dress your daughters in girly clothes can somehow make you a better mom.

We don't own anything that extreme, but it doesn't bother me in the least if someone else does or wants to take cute pictures of their baby all dolled up.

Now if someone was forcing their child to wear boutique clothes against their will for years on end I would be concerned...but I'd feel the same way if someone was refusing to let their child ever wear hairbows or ruffles or skirts because they were somehow bad.

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #122
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
What's the first thing your eye is drawn to?

Is this remotely appropriate for a newborn?

Ummm...

How is she supposed to crawl in those ruffles?

What is inappropriate about it? she is dressed in a prop for a picture and I have seen newby pics that are completely nude so I don't get it.

All of these are props imo, I have literally never seen a child dressed like this in public.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #123
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan
The pictures posted, which I will not quote because I think it is inconsiderate to post pics d kids that are not your own or snagged from a website, are cute.

Maybe not your style, but to insinuate that these photos imply something about either the parents or how the kids will turn out is asinine.

They aren't putting makeup on the babies chemicals on hair or skin, or revealing anything, so what is the big deal? And why is it enough of a concern to judge?
This!

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #124
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan
As for a consumer machine--these types of items are usually made by small businesses or wahms.
And this!

Scentsy team!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #125
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
And like I said before, I fully understand that you are not saying these beautiful children LOOK like whores, just that they ARE whores of the consumer machine.

Scentsy team!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #126
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't care what my kids wear, I want them to wear what they are comfortable in and are interested in. Obviously I'm not going to let them buy/wear whore or pimp clothes, but if my boys want to wear a shirt with trucks on it or a shirt that is pink with Dora, I don't care. If my daughter wants to wear a dress or cargo pants, I don't care. It's not a big deal. When we go shopping I let my kids pick out their own clothing. We shop at Old Navy and Kohls for them mostly. ds1 is really into super heros and things like that. ds2 likes button down shirts, shirts with vehicles on them and also Dora (it's a "girls" shirt). They also both play with trucks, legos, dolls, house, etc. DD is only weeks old so obviously she doesn't pick out her clothing, but she has "girly" clothes (dresses, pink clothing, etc), gender neutral clothes, hand me downs from her brothers, etc. I also don't care if she wants to play in the mud with a dress on or wear her brothers old clothing. I really don't understand trying to make kids dress a certain way, either only gender neutral, making girls dress like boys (seriously, why is it only that way and not making boys dress like girls? double standard much?), no dresses allowed, only dresses allowed, etc. Both are extreme and rather silly.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #127
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Am I the only one who's first reaction is "what a waste of money!" All the boutiquey stuff I've seen starts around the price I could buy two pair of jeans and two cute t shirts. And not poor quality jeans, either.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #128
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
This pretty much sums up the gist of why I started this thread:
Umm.I have this in red...Seriously I do.I made mine for a total of $10 though
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #129
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

ok, this made me go through my pictures and look at what i have I dont have all of them on my pc but here are a few (these are of my dd and all the hats were made by my mom and the 1st birthday outfit was put together by my mom (she made the shirt and bow and bought the skirt) and i made the red tutu dress.

(please tell me what draws your attention to the above picture. i dont think it's the hat but that LOOK

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #130
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Look it up. To "whore someone out to the consumer machine" is not referencing sexual promiscuity or prostitution, or any sexual behavior at all. It was said in the context of consumerism, and we as a society are so ingrained in the consumer machine that it literally controls nearly every decision that we make - without us realizing it! My point is, marketing firms strive for that "cradle to grave" consumer, and we - MOMS - are their #1 supporter because we - MOMS - make most purchase decisions for our families, especially our children. WE are teaching them to be consumers. I am shouting out about the new trend to dress girls in frilly frocks from birth - impractical, over-priced, too-good-to-get-dirty outfits that do NOTHING for our children except teach them to be consumers of impractical goods.

Yeah, sure, head-eating bows are cute and all, but they distract from the beauty of the child.
1st bold : We are ALL consumers ,like it or not. I prefer to teach my children to shop frugally and to support small businesses.

2nd bold: Not a new trend at all.

3rd bold: Your opinion .

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaute_marquee View Post
From a fellow Southern mamma, hear hear! What is up with this "my bow is bigger than your bow" and the smocked crap and huge flared pants? I feel like I have to be missing something, but I'm not sure I want to get it.
Another fellow Southerner here I agree I don't get the "My bow is bigger than your bow" I am a fan of the pastel chevron and smocked items though

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracheld View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky, but I have to ask what you dress your daughter in? I understand the bows aren't for everyone. I understand the want for your daughter to play without fear of ruining her beloved "frilly frock" (which my daughter plays without that fear 100% of the time). I just am not sure how you get around being a consumer. We all buy clothes for our children, myself included.

And as far as them being impractical, I don't find that to be true at all. My daughter and my friends daughters run, play, crawl, basically however they want to play while wearing dresses and hair bows.

In life there are dress codes and attire requirements. I don't think there is anything wrong with extending this to your children. When my daughter is accustomed to wearing dresses for important events, I think she will feel more comfortable as an adolescent dressing up for important events, and as an adult for special events. I would hate for her to go on her first job interview feeling awkward and uncomfortable because she has never worn that type of clothing before. Yes I know that is probably extreme, but I do think it's reality.

I don't think it's wrong of you to want your daughter to dress or not dress a certain way. As parents that is just one of many choices we get to make. I just disagree with your opinion of subjecting our children to the consumer machine. And while I completely understand the context of the phrase you used, I am pretty offended that someone would use the term "whore" in any context when describing my daughter or the way I parent or dress her.
This entire post especially the bold.

Quote:
This pretty much sums up the gist of why I started this thread:

I think she looks adorable. I see no issue here

Quote:
What's the first thing your eye is drawn to?

Is this remotely appropriate for a newborn?

Ummm...

How is she supposed to crawl in those ruffles?

The first thing I notice is the beautiful baby .

While I'm not a fan of naked baby photos this is rather modest in comparison to some I've seen. I am going to assume that is not your beef with the photo though and its the hairbow and tutu that bother you. It all boils down to personal prefferance . I personally would not put my newborn in that but its not hurting that baby and her parents are fine with it so why do you care?

Quote:
Jeezum ladies, I never said anything about prostitutes, sexuality, or promiscuity. "Whoring out to the CONSUMER MACHINE" not "whores".

If the point is to photograph the pineapple suit, then I would argue that the baby is the prop, not the outfit. Which is precisely my point - using children as props or feed for the consumer machine. Maybe that would have been a better word choice than "whoring".

I'm going to assume something again. I assume that you got theses pictures from Etsy. If that is the case people are trying to sale a product. They are using the children to show how that product looks and functions. I don't see it any differently than models in store ads or fashion shows. They are showing the functionality and look of an item . People like to see how things look. People like things to look pretty. It draws you in and it makes you want to buy said item . So are you saying that you would rather people just lay the tutu/hairbow or whatever on the table and snap a picture instead of using a model?

I'm a little confused on what exactly you have an issue with. Is it any of the following or a combination of them?

1. Large Bows
2. Ruffles
3. Nice clothes that can't get dirty
4. Dresses
5. People dressing their DD's "girly"
6. Photography Props
7. Modeling