Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #31
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Simple moms of girls... Anyone with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie3 View Post
I have a little girl who LOVES to dress up...and I let her wear whatever frilly fancy dress she pleases. A big bow, a tiara...or whatever else she wants. She has more clothes than I do, and I'm fine with that. She wants to be a princess when she grows up, and I've told her all little girls are princesses.
No, I'm not going to let her wear pants with "juicy" or some other suggestive slogan on the butt...but she is a girl, and I will let her embrace that by being over the top girly if she pleases.
On the other hand I have another daughter who plays more like a boy than some boys I've seen. That's ok with me too!

I'm about as tomboy as it gets, but I ended up with two of the girliest girls ever. They have an assortment of clothes, from dresses to sweats, and they dress themselves. It's pretty much always dresses/skirts, completely accessoried with headbands or hats and costume jewelry
I'm not going to stifle their need to be girly just because I'm not

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #32
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dressed my daughter in a few girly things as a baby, nothing crazy over the top, but didn't avoid pink or skirts or ruffles completely.

She has 2 older brothers, and pretty much her only exposure to toys for the first year of her life was trains, blocks and cars...yet she started begging for baby dolls and dress up clothes in the store by the time she was 8 months old. (we don't watch commercial tv either, so it wasn't like she saw it there)

By 1 she was trying to pick out her own "pretty" dresses and bows at the store, and her biggest out of the house tantrum to date (she doesn't have many) was because I wouldn't let her buy a pair of women's green flats lol

I still don't purposely dress her overly girly at 2 because I want her to be comfortable enough to play, but she's been known to go into her dresser and grab a skirt to put on over whatever else she is wearing, and while I am typing this is currently sitting at the table loving looking through her necklaces and head bands (she especially loves the ones with bows!)

I get dressed up for special occasions, but typically can be found in jeans and a hoodie with my hair in a ponytail. If she likes to wear stereotypical girly stuff, I'm not going to stop her.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #33
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She will never wear super tight or short shorts, halters or bottoms with words across the butt (I avoid writing on clothing in general). But I don't think being girly and being inappropriate can go in the same category.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I feel I need to start a thread about mamas who do dress their girls completely girly.

I have four girls and a boy in the middle of them. We don't actively own gender neutral clothes at all. I dress the girls in play clothes most days however they are still completely girly. We also have the big bows and flower headbands or cutesy hats with skirts and dresses. We don't allow writing on the butts or hooker clothes as someone mentioned however we are very much into the girly outfits .
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #35
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Apparently I've been whoring my daughter out......I guess I better get rid of the bows and ruffles. :/
Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #36
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am with you, OP.

I don't put an emphasis on clothing at all, really. It irks me to no end when people dress their daughters up in pink, ruffled, sparkly dresses and tell them how "pretty" they are. I'd rather praise my daughter for being smart, strong, independent - "pretty" is a useless trait in the real world.

Modesty aside, I think both of my kids - I have a boy and a girl - are stunning. I dress them both simply because I'd much rather focus on those beautiful little faces than distracting clothing.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #37
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it is silly that some people think banning pink and forcing girls to dress gender neutral is somehow best. I imagine these are the same people who think boys need to wear pink to be progressive.

I'm glad my mom let me decide how I wanted to dress. I went through phases of wearing dresses to one phase where most people thought I was a boy. I'd hate to have been forced to dress "girly" or "boyish" I'm glad I got to decide my own style (within reason, my mom would have never bought me hooker clothing)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #38
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want my girls to be who they are - not who I want them to be. If that is frilly and girly - so be it. If it more tomboyish - so be it. I have some rules for clothes - no writing on the bottom, shorts need to go at least 1/2 way down your thigh (would prefer closer to knee length but that is almost impossible with dd's long legs), shirts need to cover the tummy when you're standing still. Tank tops can't be too skimpy. But types of clothes and colors I leave up to my girls.

Dd2 is a girly girl. She loves dresses. She likes a comfy dress though and I let her run and play in all her dresses - even the frilly ones. I'd rather a frilly dress get worn and played in and be in terrible condition by the time it is outgrown than worn twice and hanging in the closet because we're afraid it will get dirty. I will put the dress up if it is for a special occation until it is time to wear it but after the occation is over, it is fair game. Dd2 loves pink - she barely owns anything not pink. i could buy a cute blue dress and she just won't wear it so why waste my money. Dd1 is a jeans and tshirt kid. She prefers blue and purple. She rarely wears a dress and doesn't often wear pink.

All my babies mostly wear sleepers for the first year. I bought a few dresses for each girl but usually went for more practical stuff. I didn't make my girls who they are. They just are who they are.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #39
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy
I am here to warn you it doesnt matter how plain you raise them the DIVA gene may still get them! LOL!
I am one of the most plain people on the planet. When my ODD was born I revolted against the system! NO PINK!!! She rocked every color but pink and some boys clothes as well. Now at 11 almost 12 she is such a princess diva. She loves sparkle and I never not once put it on her. She loves zebra print. She has a fashion sense that I never have had or will have and she is cute as a button. I will not allow writing on her bum and I do require shorts to be a certain length (it is hard her legs are seriously like a mile long) I do allow tank tops but they must be tasteful if that can happen.
I will say she loves the dirt. She rides on the four wheeler and runs in the mud. She is always into something outside. She loves soccer and plays it with an undying love.
I agree with everyone that manufacturers are creating a young diva line of clothing but just because you fight doesnt mean you wont get one anyway. I love her though DIVA and all!
Yup, agree with this totally. I am a bit of a clothes horse and love fashion, but not the really girlie stuff. I've always dressed my girls in like black leggings, cute tunics, jean jackets, etc.

Now that older DD is in kindergarten, she is really becoming super girlie. She loves all the frilly sparkly dresses like the other girls wear. Sparkly shoes, jewelry, pink everywhere...that's what they all love. Rather than make my kid a social pariah, I let her pick the sparkly fancy stuff. I do draw the line at Clothing with slogans, logos, or things that are too short or revealing. But as far as the girlie stuff goes,,,,that's not a battle I have the energy or desire to fight!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #40
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

My daughter's hair is too fine for head eating bows. They would fall off or slide right out. Darrrrn.
I'm in the South, but not a fan of the giant smocked, flared, ruffled, Chevron pastel, initials embroidered coordinating outfits that are all the rage here, and on Facebook. My daughter dresses herself in fabulous combinations of stuff. She picked a cute red dress for school one day this week, but is currently wearing a blue and white tank top, paired with her brother's blue gym shorts. She wears what is comfortable to her. She only had to match well if we're leaving the house.

Last edited by Dory; 04-14-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote