Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #41
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker View Post
Hmmmmmm the hookers down my way don't wear big bows in their hair. Wonder if that's a regional thing
I feel like some of this thread is lumping feminity and sexuality all together. I dress my girls in practical, comfortable, modest clothes and many of them are pink, some have ruffles and they often wear a bow or flower in their hair. DD1 loves to play princess, pirate, baby dolls and construction sets.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #42
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Simple moms of girls... Anyone with me?

From my perspective, femininity and sexuality have a complicated and real relationship. Which is not to say that I don't allow, or wouldn't allow my daughter to wear a pink sparkly tutu with a tiara in her hair - but that I will (and as she grows older I hope she will too) examine what these accoutrements are referencing in our society.

Last edited by jam's mum; 04-14-2013 at 10:06 AM.
jam's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #43
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
From my perspective, femininity and sexuality have a complicated and real relationship. Which is not to say that I don't allow, or wouldn't allow my daughter to wear a pink sparkly tutu with a tiara in her hair - but that I will (and as she grows older I hope she will too) examine what these accoutrements are referencing in our society.
I do not understand this. I know many many woman who wear nothing but dresses and skirts with braids and bows and I do not see any sexualization in this at all. However.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #44
Nicolenutt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am a hockey playing, farmer loving country girl. I also enjoy putting on makeup once in awhile and wearing dresses and skirts. I really don't understand why I wouldn't let my little girl wear a pretty pink ruffled dress. We don't allow short shorts, belly shirts or bikinis, but there is a very big difference btw femininity and sexuality. We also allow our 5yr old ds dress up as Cinderella, or any other character he wants to pretend to be. I think imposing gender stereotypes, no matter which way you're trying to swing is what causes problems. Just my
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #45
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
I do not understand this. I know many many woman who wear nothing but dresses and skirts with braids and bows and I do not see any sexualization in this at all. However.
"True Femininity" gospel and raunch culture intersect around sex, and women's relationship to it -- in that in each case women are overdetermined by, or reduced to, their sexuality. (I'm speaking very broadly about general ideology here, not about anyone's specific preferences. You do you.)

The one demands that women and girls conceal, and the other display, their sexual availability at all times. I've not got time at the moment to go into it as deeply as I want to, but I'll come back and edit with more later
Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #46
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

LOL This thread is not about femininity or sexuality. It's about teaching girls that THEY are only pretty when they are wearing pretty clothes. Teaching them that "the clothes make the man" - hiding their true beauty behind overpriced frocks. Okay, sure, it doesn't happen as much with boys clothes so there is an undertone there in the feminist culture but that wasn't the point. All of my children enjoy the same freedom of expression in deciding what they want to wear, so long as it is appropriate for the day's weather, and my DD has plenty of pink stuff. And I am sure that she will eventually have bows in her hair if she wants them. But, there is a big, bold line between practicality and "ooh look! Fresh bait for the consumer culture!", especially in the under-4 crowd. If it is something that can't get dirty, it simply doesn't belong on a young child.

Last edited by Green Decals; 04-14-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #47
Nicolenutt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't care if strangers proclaim that my daughter is just too cute, if that were what she based her self worth on then I am not doing MY job as a parent. It has nothing to do with what she wears, and she knows that bc that's what we as parents teach her. But I do agree, if she's allowed to wear it, then it's allowed to get dirty. I try to change her after church or special occasions, but if it's not possible then so be it, she won't be sidelined bc of clothing. Also, if she wants to wear a tutu to the library or casual clothes to church, then that's also her prerogative, as long as its clean and weather appropriate.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #48
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy
I am here to warn you it doesnt matter how plain you raise them the DIVA gene may still get them! LOL!
I am one of the most plain people on the planet. When my ODD was born I revolted against the system! NO PINK!!! She rocked every color but pink and some boys clothes as well. Now at 11 almost 12 she is such a princess diva. She loves sparkle and I never not once put it on her. She loves zebra print. She has a fashion sense that I never have had or will have and she is cute as a button. I will not allow writing on her bum and I do require shorts to be a certain length (it is hard her legs are seriously like a mile long) I do allow tank tops but they must be tasteful if that can happen.
I will say she loves the dirt. She rides on the four wheeler and runs in the mud. She is always into something outside. She loves soccer and plays it with an undying love.
I agree with everyone that manufacturers are creating a young diva line of clothing but just because you fight doesnt mean you wont get one anyway. I love her though DIVA and all!
If I don't buy it they can't wear it.

My toddler sure as heck isn't going to win the battle of getting pants with "sassy" written on the butt or a giant bow for her head. They wear what I buy.

Sure we have pink stuff, and some ruffles but for the most part we wear modest clothing that can be dirty and played in.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #49
julesbulia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma
My dd won't wear anything innapropriate, tight, writing on the butt, etc. but, imo forcing them to be the opposite of these societal norm is just as bad as forcing them to be a frilly princess. My girls love to dress up, hair bows, glitter, etc. but they will also play outside, climb trees, get muddy etc with the best of em. To me its about balance and allowing them to be themselves.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
Nicely put
Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #50
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't really care. My kids pretty much just wear Carter's and Roxy stuff. We won't allow them to dress like whores but beyond that, I don't care that my DD1 plays with her princess shoes and glittery dresses more than anything else in our playroom. I hardly think the clothes they wear as toddlers will cause them to be loose women when they grow up.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote