Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
birdinhand
Registered Users

How long does you baby sleep during the day?

It's been a while, so I don't remember what's normal. I don't know if Ezra has been awake for 2 hours total today. Yesterday he slept most of the day but was awake for a few hours before bed. He basically has three states, awake and hungry, awake and quiet, or asleep. He wakes maybe every 2ish hours at night to eat.

Does that sound right? What's your baby doing, assuming you have had your baby (my heart goes out to those still waiting! Hang in there!).

His first cloth diaper:

Advertisement

birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long does you baby sleep during the day?

That's pretty similar to mine. We're feeding every hour and a half, on average. She's not awake all that much, but will rouse after a diaper change to feed.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sounds nice, actually! We are on a 1.5h-2.5h sleeps, and maybe the same for awake cycles. He feeds for about 45 minutes, but its an on/off, burp, repeat thing, not constant nursing.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
SarahBk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNsis View Post
That's pretty similar to mine. We're feeding every hour and a half, on average. She's not awake all that much, but will rouse after a diaper change to feed.
This is like Rosie, she's on every 2 to 2.5 hours. She will wake during a diaper/clothing change and for the initial part of nursing. She does tend to have 1-2 periods of being awake and very alert but quiet during the day. Generally in the late afternoon to early evening.
SarahBk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Endlessly There have been some days he barely opens his eyes. Though that's probably partly that I'm an over attentive first time mama so I catch hunger cues even in his sleep and feed him before he fully wakes up. Was worrying me a bit until I took him over to the public health clinic to use the scale... he's gaining and growing by leaps and bounds WELL over birth weight at 2 weeks and he's already out grown some sleepers that were almost too big when i brought him home... so I guess it's working for him.

Yesterday I finally got a fair bit of awake time and that's at 2.5 weeks. But it was nice it's snowy so no one had come over to visit... when ever family are here they steal him the second his eyes open so for once I really got to enjoy it for myself.

ISO: Fuzzibunz Elite OS, Lg Boy-ish G-diapers, MEAF M, ML, L
IHA: Sm G-diapers, pouches, g-cloth, NB Alvas, NB Sandies, NB Prefolds, NB Bummis covers
KendallMarie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
birdinhand
Registered Users

Hey, even with my 4th I worry a lot, actually more than with the others about certain things. Like yesterday I thought his breathing was too fast, so I had to look it up -- totally normal, 30-60 respirations per minute.

He did wake around 3 am and want to be up for a while, but we went to the living room and watched tv for an hour or so and then fell back to sleep.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
SarahBk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
Hey, even with my 4th I worry a lot, actually more than with the others about certain things. Like yesterday I thought his breathing was too fast, so I had to look it up -- totally normal, 30-60 respirations per minute.

He did wake around 3 am and want to be up for a while, but we went to the living room and watched tv for an hour or so and then fell back to sleep.
Me too! She is our 4th as well and I worry so much more with her than some of the others.
SarahBk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Before today, id say 'not at all'. Luke has been sleeping about an hour in the morning, 2hrs in the afternoon and a 2-3hr evening nap. Oh and a couple hours at night. Awake and pissed off the rest of the time.

But he's slept a couple hour long stretches this morning, so maybe the tides are changing. And he slept almost all of last night.

6 days old today.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have been very curious about this since Nate is still behind in the sleeping department, but I don't really know what the norm is either.

Four days ago he was rarely awake long enough to eat and rarely woke on his own. He also rarely entered deep sleep and would cry out every ten minutes or so in his sleep (literally 24 hours a day). So its the least sleep I have ever gotten in my life from a child who slept 22.5 hours a day.

Just within the last few days he has started staying awake for 30 or so minutes after some of his day feedings and sleeping just a tad more soundly. He also wakes up for half his feedings by himself. We are full term today so I guess I should expect more newborn like transitions.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Enzo has his best awake period around 4am, and that's an hour or so.