Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
postpartum shivering spells?

I had my baby 8 days ago and I have experienced 2 nights in a row of extreme shivering/freezing episodes. the first night I was so scared and could not stop shaking I thought I was dying (dramatic, i know). i had to cover myself with 3 blankets and still couldn't stop shaking for maybe 10 minutes.

i have never had this before and this was my 5th baby. i'm breastfeeding and thought it might have something to do with being engorged? or else hormones? or low blood sugar? I have also had more mild hot spells, but the freezing spells were super scary.

does anyone know what i'm talking about?

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: postpartum shivering spells?

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but after I had my first, one night I had this horrible chill that made my back shiver and I got the chills so bad that my body would tense up in spasms. I passed my DD to my mom quick and jumped in a hot shower with all my clothes on because it hurt too back to try and take them off before I got in the shower. It was HORRIBLE.
I've get them sporadically now, but I have a feeling it was due to my epidural, because the shiver/spasm usually starts in my back.
I get them when I'm too cold. I can feel it come on and it SUCKS.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
stephbrown13
Registered Users

This happened to me with my first. Extreme shivering, and also extreme sweating. I mentioned it to the midwife and she said it just happens to some women, and I think something about hormones... I can't remember
Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

now I've had these stupid shivering spells every night for 4 nights and had another one this morning. they are really hard to deal with, teeth chattering, shaking, muscles tensing up in my back and stomach. and no way to stop it. they go on for at least 15 minutes and I am useless & can't even hold my baby or nurse him while it's happening obviously.

I had a fever of 102.6 this morning, so I finally got my OB to agree to see me. I just want to see if I have a UTI or something and get on antibiotics if I need to. I don't see how this can be normal...
Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got the shivers after all 3 of my births, usually within a few days. I think just one time after my first 2 babies and then 3 times after my third was born last year. I have no idea what caused them, though. They were horrible. They came on quick and I would run around and gather all the blankets I could find and then lay down and just shiver under a mountain of blankets. I couldn't do anything either. I felt cold, though I'm not sure if I was actually cold but it was like normal shivers on steroids. Shaking to the core. Then 5-10 minutes later it was over. I'm off to google. Now I'm curious. I assume it's hormonal.

Here's a link:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...-after-a-baby/

Looks like 3 main causes - exertion, infection, and hormonal. Mine were definitely hormonal.

Last edited by badmisterkitty; 04-16-2013 at 01:46 PM.
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I had this for about a week after DS2 was born
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
leyash
Registered Users
seller

could it have anything to do with losing a drastic amount of blood? i mean, think about it... we go from normal blood amounts, to having a ridiculous amount due to baby, and then during birth we lose a little, and then lose a little more as the days go on, until it's back to normal amounts. could that be it maybe?
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Coupled with a temp, that could be an infection. I'm glad you are seeing a doctor.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I always get shivering and sweating spells. In early pregnancy, then as labor nears, and then I have them sporadically for a few months after birth. Had them with all 4 of my babies.

I sweat so badly that my sheets get SOAKED. With my first, before I knew it was hormonal, I thought my water had broken. I have often made my pillow so soggy that I could wring it out.

SO gross... but it's just the way my body reacts to the hormones coming and going.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought it was hormonal too, but I get them now when I'm not pregnant.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote