Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
"Natural" milk?

Wondering if this is a hoax or for real.

It's illegal to sell raw milk here, and our local "green" store sells milk from a local dairy: whole, reduced fat, skim, and "natural". The first three are homogenized. The natural milk is vat pasteurized at 145 degrees for a half hour, but not homogenized. Is there a benefit to picking this over the other types? I remember reading non-homogenized is better for you- would it apply to this type of milk?

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.

Advertisement

I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...

Last edited by Hope4More; 04-14-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: "Natural" milk?

No such "natural" milk is available here. But my Kroger carries " organic raw" cheese that has been heat treated at 158 degrees for 15 seconds, and I can say that there is a difference w/ it b/c every other cow dairy product (including organic products) that I have tried to eat in the last couple of years have given me a migraine the next day. It is the only cow dairy that is migraine free for me. Otherwise I need to eat goat/sheep dairy. I really don't know why, but for me this semi-raw cheese is a good thing!

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
chewie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A benefit of non-homogenized whole milk is that the fat globules are all different sizes, some of which are too big to absorb through your intestinal wall. You actually absorb less fat from NH whole milk than homogenized whole milk.
That's the only random fact I've got about homogenization (my uncle is a dairy farmer).
chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
The vat pasteurization will leave more enzymes intact allowing it to be digested easier. Non-homogenized is also really good.

Check out www.realmilk.com for more info if you're curious.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
photocat
Registered Users

I read the negative is something to do with the process for homogenizing. The milk is forced through some sort of tiny holes....maybe it was a sprayer or something? I forget....to break up the fat and distribute it through the milk. And I can't remember exactly why that is not great, I would suspect it would damage the milk in some way, but the less processing the better, in general.

Out of your options, I'd pick the non-homogenised whole milk.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Question so the risks of raw milk are not present in NH milk right
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote