Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you tell which way your baby is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMama2 View Post
I am pregnant with my second baby, and I didn't even know it was possible to tell which way your baby was other than an ultrasound lol
Oh and depending on who is doing the ultrasound, you might not even find out then! My son had an ultrasound at 38 weeks the day of my planned c-section. The resident couldn't find his head... he was breach. So ultrasounds are not fool proof if you have a resident involved.

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Hiccups and even dopplers can be deceiving though. Cause you might think you're feeling the hiccup, but you're getting the reflex. And at one of my last appts, baby's head was down, but the heartbeat was found up high. Even the OB was surprised.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never felt hiccups in 2 locations. Usually just a pretty repetitive small movement in the same spot over and over every few seconds for a few minutes.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
mella1922
Registered Users
seller

I also suggest spinningbabies.com. Gail Tully has a great way of explaining ways to determine different baby parts. Midwives routinely use abdominal palpation instead of ultrasound to determine fetal position and they tend to be more accurate!
mella1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:58 AM   #15
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Leopold's Maneuvers. Do a search. There are lots of videos and websites describing how to assess fetal lie using this method. I am not really sure how easy it would be to do on yourself. And, honestly it isn't easy to assess even for people who do it often. While hiccups, kicks, heartbeat, etc. Can be a goodbjumping off point, they aren't very accurate. Leopold's dine by a skilled provider is a much better assessment, but ultrasound is still preferred in a case where you really need to know.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This isn't for medically necessity, it is just for my own enjoyment. I have an ultrasound on May 10th.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
mella1922
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Leopold's Maneuvers. Do a search. There are lots of videos and websites describing how to assess fetal lie using this method. I am not really sure how easy it would be to do on yourself.
You are right, I'm an advanced student midwife and it's really hard for me to do Leopold's Maneuvers on myself even at 33 weeks.

There are basic questions that Leopold's are based on that you can use on your self to identify fetal landmarks. What side of your bump is harder than the other side? The harder side would more likely be the back. Which side has more lumps or undistinguishable body parts? Those are more likely to be feet or knees. Are you feeling kicks on one side of your bump or all over? That would tell you if the baby if facing more anteriorly or more posteriorly. Find the top of your uterus, does it feel like there is a hard, round, lump that slides back and forth easily between your hands (probably a head), or a lump that is more soft, irregularly-shaped, and feels like a large amount of the baby moves (probably a butt)? Even just paying attention to how your baby moves can tell you a lot about their positioning.

Hope that helps, good luck!
mella1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #18
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think I found the head today. He was kicking a lot and I felt movement everywhere except in this one spot under my rib. I think that was his head. So I think he is laying in a 10 to 5 position facing the 1 (where I know the placenta is. NEVER any kicks there) o'clock.

I guess this is all about getting in touch with feelings and paying attention very carefully. I will have to keep an eye on things and see if I am right on the 10th.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't tell with my daughter. Now I can feel this one's butt. I don't know that I'd be confident that it's the butt if I didn't know baby was head down though...

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:12 AM   #20
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I could tell with both of mine but not really well until 30ish weeks.

The pp who said if you press and the whole baby moves its butt is right. I also could feel the difference in density too. Squishy and wide butt, small and hard (like a cue ball) head. I laid on my back and used my fingers to poke (not hard) around my belly. I was able to tell that dd2 was head down facing left (confirmed by us) and then I could tell when she flipped to face my right side.

I did freak myself out w dd1 because I felt a hard roundness near my hipbone. At 39 weeks I thought it was her head waaaaay out if the pelvis. Turned out to be her knee.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote