Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What do your kids get for an after school snack?

The title pretty much says it all. I always wonder this because I wonder if my kids snack should be bigger, different, etc. I have a friend who always posts pics of everything (drives me insane!) but her kids snacks are huge. She said it's because they don't really eat dinner. That's kind of why I don't want my kids to have much snack after school, because dinner is usually with 60-90 minutes.

I get that they are probably hungry because they eat lunch pretty early at school. I've been making them finish whatever they didn't eat at lunch and then they can have a piece of fruit, or sometimes Pirate Booty, string cheese and a few crackers/pretzels.

So Im interested in what you give them (only fruits/veggies, or do they get crackers, etc), how much, and how much time between when they get home and when dinner is?

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do your kids get for an after school snack?

We have a snack drawer in our fridge with produce I've washed (apples, carrots, some kind of citrus, and usually celery and cucumbers). If it's between meals they are allowed to eat as much from the drawers they want. I let them have peanut butter with it, or if I am not busy I will slice some cheese for them too. If I let them have a lot of carbs they would have no patience to sit at the dinner table and also my son would be stacking insulin so I try to have carb loading at more scheduled times. We homeschool, but I like your idea about having them finish their lunch from school. That's kinda different that your friend's kids don't really have dinner.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD gets off the bus at 4. She eats a gogurt and a cheese stick, or some pretzels, or some cookies with something else healthy. Sometimes some chips or cheetos along with a gogurt or cheese stick. She comes home and goes straight to karate 2 days a week or violin one day a week and dinner isn't til at least 6:30 or 7 those days, so I let her have whatever she wants.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids are grazers, so they eat all day long.
After school they usually have half peanut butter sandwich, or nutella sandwich.
They are allowed fruit as much as they want. I try to limit what they eat all the other times of the day, but they are really good eaters and I keep good foods in the house, plus they are SO active (no TV until after Dinner and Showers) that I know they are probably hungry before B/L/D!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #5
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Apple slices with peanut butter
cheese and crackers
Hard boiled eggs
Carrots and dip

These are our most common snacks. Dinner varies quite a bit. mon and friday dinner isnt usually until about 7 pm. Tuesday it is 530 and other days it depends whether I am working.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #6
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Apple slices with peanut butter
cheese and crackers
Hard boiled eggs
Carrots and dip

These are our most common snacks. Dinner varies quite a bit. mon and friday dinner isnt usually until about 7 pm. Tuesday it is 530 and other days it depends whether I am working.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine gets 2 snacks and lunch at school- which is what she would get at home. But they have timed snacks and are only allowed to bring one thing for each snack, so her snacks are smaller then they would normally be. When she comes home- depends on how long dinner will be. We're home at 3:30. If dinner is going to be at 5 just a piece of fruit. If its going to be a little later then wow butter or graham cracker or somthing else like that and fruit.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

The littles usually get a Greek yogurt and some organic cherries. The teens east a meal of sandwiches and fruit or a left over...don't ask me where they all put it but they are all healthy weight so I figure they are just growing.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We eat early dinner so I try to not do too big of a snack. We have a drawer with produce, cheese, yogurt. Or we have some healthy granola bars. They don't have a limit
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a snack drawer of stuff that varies week to week. It can have rice cakes, crackers of some sort, granola bars, nutrigrain type bars, craisens, raisens, dried fruit, graham crackers, etc. In the fridge is string cheese (usually but sometimes I mix it up with another kind of cheese), yogurt and fruit. We have small bowls (that hold maybe a cup of food, if that) and they can pick up to 2 things for their snack. If it is crackers they can't fill more than 1/2 the bowl with them.

We eat supper at 6:00 most nights and this is enough to keep them tied over until supper but not so full they don't eat supper. If they are starving they can have a fruit of some sort closer to supper but that's it.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote