Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy
I have a snack drawer of stuff that varies week to week. It can have rice cakes, crackers of some sort, granola bars, nutrigrain type bars, craisens, raisens, dried fruit, graham crackers, etc. In the fridge is string cheese (usually but sometimes I mix it up with another kind of cheese), yogurt and fruit. We have small bowls (that hold maybe a cup of food, if that) and they can pick up to 2 things for their snack. If it is crackers they can't fill more than 1/2 the bowl with them.

We eat supper at 6:00 most nights and this is enough to keep them tied over until supper but not so full they don't eat supper. If they are starving they can have a fruit of some sort closer to supper but that's it.
This sounds like what we do. Except that they can eat as much fruit or as many veggies as they like, and unless we're about to serve a meal yogurt is always allowed.

Nicole, wife to my amazing DH. Proud to be mamma to DS A 11/07, DD P 10/09 and DS H 06/12.
Nicolenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: What do your kids get for an after school snack?

My guys eat afternoon snack at 3:45 and dinner is usually at 5:30-6:00. They typically eat one or two small servings of fruit or vegs and a muffin/bread/PB crackers/hummus and crackers.
Kat ~ Mum to G (11), D (9) and O (7)
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Registered Users
Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
My not-in-elementary kids eat a snack around 2. My schoolers get a snack at 4, mostly because ds2 has to eat with his meds at 4. Dinner is usually around 6. They get whole apples, cheese slices, small bowl of cereal (Cheerios, Chex), graham crackers, bananas. Kinda depends on what they want.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Hi, I'm Brittney
Wife to one amazing man.
Mom to FOUR amazing blessings.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Registered Users

The usually have a snack around 3-3:30 and then dinner is at 6:30. If we come straight home it's something simple like fruit and kefir or sunbutter sandwich and fruit. If we have afternoon classes I pack a full lunch container for them. Something like a homemade granola bar, cheese, peppers and carrots with hummus, wheat crackers, grapes, smoothie and apples. They will eat their entire container before class and then do swim, dance etc. and still eat all of their dinner. I try not to feed any snacks after 4p though.
Married to my soulmate Chris since 2004 Mama to big boy D 8/12/06, Big Girl M 3/7/10 and my sweet new boy E 9/10/12!

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Registered Users

My kiddos are grazers too. They have their father's supercharged metabolism. No matter how much they eat during the day, they eat meals too.

Personally, as long as my kiddos are eating healthy throughout the day, I don't worry about meals to much. Also, anytime of the day they can have as much veggies and fruit as they want and they have easy access to it. Dairy- they can have once before lunch and once between lunch and dinner for a snack. Also, crackers/pretzels/etc. I usually only allow once a day as a snack. Often they will have a protein with their fruit and/or vegetables such as peanut butter, hummus, lunch meat, or a hard boiled egg.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:
After school snack is popcorn, small bowl of goldfish or pretzels, fruit, carrots, applesauce, or yogurt. DD1 gets home around 3:15 and we eat dinner between 5 and 6. Her lunch is at noon and kiddos at home is between noon and 1.
Loving wife to Erik - the man who drives me wild and drives me crazy .
Mother to Amelia (12.06), Charlotte (11.08), Clark (3.11), and Tabitha (6.13).
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Registered Users
My Mood:

Veggie tray with ranch or hummus
Fruit tray with nut butter or yogurt
Pita chips/crackers with cheese and hummus

My DD's school lunch time is 11am, we eat lunch at the same time at home. I pick her up at 3:30 and it takes 10 minutes to get home so we end up having snacks at 4pm. We eat supper between 5:30 and 6, depends on what we're having and when DH gets home. For reference, DD's lunch that she takes to school is almost always: 1/2 bagel w/ cream cheese or 1/2 nut butter sandwich, 1-2 fruit, 1-2 veggie, 1 dairy and 1/2 serving of grains.
Wife to H & Homeschool Mom to
The Nerd (11),
The Scientist (8) & The Entertainer (5)
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Registered Users

We have a bin in the fridge, a bin in the pantry, and a fruit bowl. anything in those is acceptable anytime snacks. They are allowed one thing. Thy get home at 3 and dinner is at 5.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
Registered Users

My oldest gets home from her full day preschool at 2:30 (out at 2:20 and we live 10 mins away....private school so I pick her up). She is welcome to have fruit of any kind, or carrots/celery/peppers (whatever veggies we have in the house) or cheese for snack. We have dinner about 5:30, so its about 3 hours till dinner (they eat lunch at 11:15 at school).

My kids are always allowed to eat fruit/veggies in any amount they want. They can have some cheese each day, but not unlimited or they would each eat 10lbs of cheese per day! We dont keep grain in the house, so no crackers or cereal or anything like that here.
Jen -momma to MaryKate 12/13/07, Kara 7/22/09, Adalane "Laney" 2/9/11, ^angel^ 10/13, & Jacob 8/21/14

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
Registered Users
My Mood:

I guess I'm the only one who limits fruit - before dinner though. If it's a day off of school, I don't. !! I don't limit veggies, though. My middle daughter would live on fruit if I let her. I have to really force her to eat her vegetables. The ones she really hates I don't make her, but ones taht she tolerates, she has to eat. My youngest is the opposite and it's so hard to get her to eat fruit!!

It's nice to see what others do in size of portion, time, etc.
JC, SAHM to my three beautiful daughters Nathalia Grace , 12, and my Irish twins Ava Elizabeth, 8,: Olivia Catherine 7
Honeymommy3 is offline   Reply With Quote