Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
My kiddo isn't in school, but she gets a snack about 430/5 after her nap dinner is usually 6/630.

Usually it's fruit (apple, orange, grapes), some carbs - crackers, pretzels, natural popcorn, maybe banana chips or craisins or yogurt raisins.

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
scairns
Registered Users

Re: What do your kids get for an after school snack?

We usually do fruits, or crackers, or gogurts something light because we have dinner early
Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
megenic
Registered Users
seller

I live in Canada. Please enlighten me about what exactly a gogurt is.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #24
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We homeschool, but a late afternoon snack at my house is a string cheese or homemade yogurt (with honey or fruit preserves). Crackers or cookies are more of a mid morning snack food.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #25
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my oldest goes to school and is on a balanced day schedule, so he has 2 "lunch" periods, the second being at about 1:20pm. He does not get a snack when he gets home at 3:45, and dinner is at 5-5:30.

my younger 2 have lunch at about 11:30, and then a small snack (apple slices, cheese string, trail mix, or something similar) around 1-1:30 and then nothing until dinner.

if I let them eat much later than that, they don't eat their dinner. It's not that I'm giving them crappy food for a snack, but I expect that they are hungry enough to eat dinner with us as a family. 99% of the time, everyone finishes what is on their plate and even sometimes ask for seconds.

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

We don't do a set time for snacks or big meals. We eat when our bodies are hungry. If they want more, I give them more. If they don't want a snack, no biggie. If they don't finish, fine. We have a refrigerator that will save it for later. Some days I'm hungrier than others, why should I restrict my kids from that? Especially growing kids. I keep our diets simple, veggies, lean meats, whole wheat, limit fruits, drink mainly water, limit dairy. They can have as much as they want, as long as its healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
I live in Canada. Please enlighten me about what exactly a gogurt is.
Go-Gurt is a yogurt that is highly marketed to kids much like sugary breakfast cereals are. It comes in prepackaged tubes, with an over processed version of what was once a healthy snack (plain yogurt). It has a lot of extra added chemicals, flavors and sugars. I've been told that the US version has more sugar than Coca-Cola!

http://www.hapimoms.com/Go-Gurt.html
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #27
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Popcorn, fruit, cheese, yogurt, whatever we have. They are hungry when they get home from school because they get very little food and very little time to eat. I let them eat whatever they want when they get home and then they usually eat supper before they go to bed. It is generally made available to them anyway and they all almost always eat something else. We are not a scheduled family BTW and DH is not always home for supper because of work.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #28
vonnief
Registered Users
seller

Both my DSS are seriously underweight and malnourished and have to have big meals/snacks. These are considered 'big' snacks, at least according to our nutritionist. Sometimes the oldest wants even more snack, if he's going through a growth spurt, but this is the minimum they have to have. It looks reading other people's responses though that we're about average in snack size.

1 piece of fruit (apple, banana, orange) with a handful of nuts and 6 wheat crackers with cheese

1 piece of fruit with 6 homemade peanut butter crackers and yogurt

At school they have a small snack around 1:30 (they eat lunch really early at school) and these snacks are when they come home at 3. Dinner is around 6PM.
vonnief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #29
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, tell us how you really feel about the gogurt.......although they are taking out the hfcs and artificial stuff now, esp in the simple version.

Kids get home at 2.30pm now, so usually a granola snack or today pirate booty, any fruit, milk.....dinner normally around 5-5.30pm
Old 04-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #30
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Ok what is this pirate booty that I have seen mentioned here??
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote