Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

Dairy/milk allergy?

Looking for some advice on a possible milk allergy.

We recently introduced our 13 month old twins to whole milk (they are breast fed babies). They had some here and there, then a stomach bug hit the house, so we cut out milk for about 3 weeks until it cleared. Introduced it again, M had an entire sippy throughout the day and at dinner vomited everywhere. He also got a rash on his cheeks. We weren't sure if it was the bug again, or a possible allergy, but decided to cut out milk again. We waited another three weeks, and tried it again last Wed, and he had a tummy ache all night and woke with an awful diaper and a bloody rash!! That confirmed our thoughts and decided to completely cut milk out. (He seems to do just fine with yogurt and cheese)

Well, today our 4 year old decided to share his milk during snack, M *maybe* got an ounce before I took it away. About 2 hours later he threw up all over. Is that common with a food allergy? No rash, but no one seems sick either. So I'm guessing it's from the milk. They had their well visit yesterday and they just told us to give soy or lactose free milk and that it was no big deal. But, if he's throwing up after an ounce is it more serious?! Our 4 year old has an appt on Friday and I plan on talking to them again about it. We don't have any allergies at all, so I'm new to all of this!

TIA!

Advertisement

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My nephew (now 18months) was that way at that age. He would break into horrible rashes and cry from stomach pain. My sil had him allergy tested and he came up as a 3 for milk...which means that his is not a life threatening allergy and that he could possibly grow out of it. I believe he can have a bite of milk-related things every once and awhile, but he is on soy milk now.
I am allergic to milk (I can't breathe), but when I was younger my allergy took the form of a rash. I mostly grew out of it by 3 and this milk/casien allergy didn't hit me hard until my 20s.
I'd still get your twins tested....better to be safe than sorry imo!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Food allergy reactions can come in various forms & happen at various times. DS2's first reaction to milk (& he's allergic to 6 of the top 8) was angry red hives all over his face. I was horrified & called the hospital it was so bad. They told me it was ok if his breathing was fine. (I know better now!) after a 2 hr nap he woke vomiting & continued all night. In hindsight I should have taken him in.
If I where you I would get him an allergist appointment and an Epi pen. In the mean time be sure to have Children's benedryl in your home & to go packs in your purse (CVS/Walmart brands have them). Just in case.
If your LO gets into it again and has two system reactions (hives/vomiting/can't breathe) you need to call 911. I don't mean to scare you. My LO is anaphylactic to milk so it makes me nervous for him to be anywhere near milk/milk products.
That said: my older one can tolerate cheese, ect but gets hives from Greek yogurt. We do not have yogurt or cows milk in our home. Once in awhile we'll have icecream or something else far out of DS2's reach.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

Re: Dairy/milk allergy?

Wow! I had no idea dairy could be such a serious allergy! :/ The pediatrician kind of blew me off and told us he'd outgrow it and just not to let him have any. I'll have to talk to her more about it when I take Ds1 in on Friday. Thanks ladies!

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Your ped gave you bad advice. Lactose free milk will not help a kid with a milk allergy since casein is the protein in milk, not lactose. Find an allergist to work with who knows what they're talking about!

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy
Your ped gave you bad advice. Lactose free milk will not help a kid with a milk allergy since casein is the protein in milk, not lactose. Find an allergist to work with who knows what they're talking about!
This.

And it usually is NOT life threatening and will be outgrown. Could be intolerant of soy as well. So try almond or rice.

I do find it interesting that the child is this sensitive but had no issues with your milk (not your milk itself but that you do pass on milk proteins from food you eat)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsfroberg
Wow! I had no idea dairy could be such a serious allergy! :/ The pediatrician kind of blew me off and told us he'd outgrow it and just not to let him have any. I'll have to talk to her more about it when I take Ds1 in on Friday. Thanks ladies!
Dairy allergies can be very serious. My older brother has it so bad that even touching something with milk protein will cause a reaction. In elementary school a kid decided to test it and dumped a carton of milk on my brother. It was like burns. Even now at 31 years old we all have to be very careful about dairy around him.

Both of my boys would get the bleeding bum rash and vomiting with dairy exposure. They've outgrown it now though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
This.

And it usually is NOT life threatening and will be outgrown. Could be intolerant of soy as well. So try almond or rice.

I do find it interesting that the child is this sensitive but had no issues with your milk (not your milk itself but that you do pass on milk proteins from food you eat)
This, both dh and my youngest have milk protein allergies. They are not life threatening and while dh has not entirely outgrown it he can enjoy dairy as long as he doesn't over indulge. If he consumes too much dairy he will suffer for it (stomach upset) he just doesn't seem to care. He no longer gets rashes or ear infections from it though. My youngest still has extreme stomach reactions and rashes but has never had a life threatening reaction. As far as I know the only dairy he can easily tolerate is yogurt. His allergy actually got better but then became worse when we did an elimination diet and took dairy out for a month. When we trialed it back in all of the symptoms that had been gone came back and became worse. He and I are both off of dairy for the time being (I discovered that I am reacting to dairy as well and I'm not sure if it is lactose or casein so I'm just avoiding it until I find out for sure).

All that to say better safe than sorry, have your children tested for sure but milk can definitely be an allergy your kids outgrow.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningSunrise View Post
My nephew (now 18months) was that way at that age. He would break into horrible rashes and cry from stomach pain. My sil had him allergy tested and he came up as a 3 for milk...which means that his is not a life threatening allergy and that he could possibly grow out of it. I believe he can have a bite of milk-related things every once and awhile, but he is on soy milk now.
I am allergic to milk (I can't breathe), but when I was younger my allergy took the form of a rash. I mostly grew out of it by 3 and this milk/casien allergy didn't hit me hard until my 20s.
I'd still get your twins tested....better to be safe than sorry imo!
Sorry, but are you referring to a RAST level 3? The 3 does not mean its not life threatening. The level only indicates the likelihood of a reaction not the seriousness of a reaction. Some one who is a level 1 can have an ANA reaction just like some who is a level 6 can get a rash and no ANA. A 3 may or may nit have a reaction to every exposure but 6 has a 100% chance of having a reaction to exposure. Either reaction could be life threatening. Not trying to be snarky or anything, I just see people who misunderstand want the levels actually mean and it can be dangerous.

I would definitely get to an allergist. Dairy issues are pretty common which is probably why your doc blew you off. We were blown off too- dd has a dairy intolerance not an allergy (she does have food allergies too). Doc that I was being overprotective. The whole thing ended up with my daughter in PT for 2 years with gross motor delays caused by mal-absorption. She was 6 weeks when her problems started, weren't diagnosed until we switched docs at one and started whole milk. Definitely get to an allergist, get tested and get better info. Just getting off whole milk isn't great advice.

The yogurt and cheese- bot are considered processed foods. I think something like 20-40% of people with dairy allergies and intolerances can eat them. If he his eating those then he can probably do baked in as well (pancakes, cakes, cupcakes, bread, etc). But an allergist is the best person to give you good info. Try for a pediatric allergist if you have one available.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #10
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4

Sorry, but are you referring to a RAST level 3? The 3 does not mean its not life threatening. The level only indicates the likelihood of a reaction not the seriousness of a reaction. Some one who is a level 1 can have an ANA reaction just like some who is a level 6 can get a rash and no ANA. A 3 may or may nit have a reaction to every exposure but 6 has a 100% chance of having a reaction to exposure. Either reaction could be life threatening. Not trying to be snarky or anything, I just see people who misunderstand want the levels actually mean and it can be dangerous.

I would definitely get to an allergist. Dairy issues are pretty common which is probably why your doc blew you off. We were blown off too- dd has a dairy intolerance not an allergy (she does have food allergies too). Doc that I was being overprotective. The whole thing ended up with my daughter in PT for 2 years with gross motor delays caused by mal-absorption. She was 6 weeks when her problems started, weren't diagnosed until we switched docs at one and started whole milk. Definitely get to an allergist, get tested and get better info. Just getting off whole milk isn't great advice.

The yogurt and cheese- bot are considered processed foods. I think something like 20-40% of people with dairy allergies and intolerances can eat them. If he his eating those then he can probably do baked in as well (pancakes, cakes, cupcakes, bread, etc). But an allergist is the best person to give you good info. Try for a pediatric allergist if you have one available.
Why has diaperswappers not come up with a "like" button yet?! Lol
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote