View Poll Results: What would you do?
Different pediatric dentist, probable papoosing or nitrous 7 53.85%
Save up money for back up dentist 2 15.38%
insist on silver fillings 3 23.08%
other and please explain! 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa~K View Post
I don't think I would have cavities filled in a young child WITHOUT nitrous. A bad experience would potentially affect a lifetime of needed dentistry. A papoose board would not even be an option to me.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
they wanted to do that on my child, ummm no

If the teeth are strong, not progressing much, MI paste, ozone therapy, brushing and there is no NEED to fill them, it's cosmetic. I have this with my toddler, we've paid more in dentist bills than I'd like to add up, ped natural densits and reg ones

unless they are soft or painful, there is no real NEED to fill them

We where going to since she doesn't like how they look, but $3000? Ummm I don't know, seems a fortune esp when I have another in need of braces for another $3000

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa~K View Post
I don't think I would have cavities filled in a young child WITHOUT nitrous. A bad experience would potentially affect a lifetime of needed dentistry. A papoose board would not even be an option to me.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I agree. Has she ever had a cavity filled before? I would give her something to help her relax and fill them before they get really bad, and the will if you leave them. What did you dentist suggest??? I am sure they didn't just say she has cavities at age three and not to worry.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Don't know if the teeth are strong but between the last visit and this one she started another cavity in the one next to it. dd loves the dentist and I don't want her to experience any thing traumatic I guess I can call around and see but I'd I don't find another one that takes my insurance we will be doing silver
Old 04-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Don't know if the teeth are strong but between the last visit and this one she started another cavity in the one next to it. dd loves the dentist and I don't want her to experience any thing traumatic I guess I can call around and see but I'd I don't find another one that takes my insurance we will be doing silver
i'd order MI paste, squiggle tooth builder, there is a yahoo group for young kids with dental issues you may get more ideas from

i'd never do silver unless the tooth wa super bad
Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I will try that. There are two months until her appointment so I'll see what I can do
Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #26
Erinne
Registered Users

My 3yo had 2 molars drilled and filled with resin with just nitrous. Not sure how she would have done without the gas, but papoosing was definitely not necessary. Dd has cavities that are bad on her front teeth too, but the dentist wanted to do crowns because she said fillings were likely to fall out, so we're just doing lots of checkups and flouride treatments and hoping they fall out before they get painful for her. Oh, and I'm not sure if there are different kinds of resin, but the kind we had was supposed to release minerals or something that would help prevent future cavities, too, so that might be another plus to finding a way to get the resin, beyond just the cosmetic.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #27
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
I will try that. There are two months until her appointment so I'll see what I can do
they can remineralize and be hard and fine, just look bad
Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I'd save up. Or go for the silver fillings, unless they are permanent teeth, then for me, saving would be the other option.
I'll never again bring my kids to a dentist that uses restraints. My kids have never been "papoosed" but I'm terrified by the idea of it. Pretty sure it would scare the heck put of them too
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #29
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
I'd save up. Or go for the silver fillings, unless they are permanent teeth, then for me, saving would be the other option.
I'll never again bring my kids to a dentist that uses restraints. My kids have never been "papoosed" but I'm terrified by the idea of it. Pretty sure it would scare the heck put of them too
She's almost four so I figure she'll lose it in the next two years our so. The one tooth is pretty bad but I will try to heal it naturally. Otherwise think I'll go with silver. I am not crazy about nitrous and no way on the papoose
Old 04-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #30
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 7.5 year old hasn't lost a tooth yet......so you never know. He's my "good teeth" guy. It's hilarious as he has the tiniest teeth. Literally his teeth are smaller than my 3 yr old and the 16 month old, lol.....cracks me up.

ODS lost first tooth at age 6..

Just a thought.....can you call around and see if a general dentist would do it with nitrous? We had a general dentist before we had a ped one, they saw the kids from about 3/4 up. Might just be another option for you. Actually our general didn't use nitrous and ODS never batted an eye when getting work done.....so it was weird going to the ped one and getting nitrous, kinda like taking a step backward.