Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Potty training but not stuck home

DS is probably ready to PL but I have been dragging my feet. Every method I've read about involves staying home for a few days. DS and I don't do well when we have to be stuck in our tiny apartment all day and every morning we go out so he can play or swim for several hours. I also walk two miles every day for exercise. Is there any potty training method that will allow us to maintain out normal schedual while PL or do I have to suck it up and stay home?

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Kelly3139
Registered Users
seller

Re: Potty training but not stuck home

Consistency is key to success. If you are able to go places with easy access to a toilet or can bring a little potty then it may work if you are routinely prompting him. The thought behind staying at home is so you can watch them closely and you will notice a pattern of a "pee pee dance" or a certain action before they wet themselves. Once you learn that sign it makes it easy to prompt to avoid accidents. My daughter puts her knee's together and squats a little. I think the main thing is once you start potty training you lose the diapers and no pull-ups they seem to know those are diapers too. Once my daughter pee'd all over herself a few times she got it. Then it was followed by a couple weeks of me prompting her and now she is telling me when she needs to go. We stayed in our house her naked for one day and I caught her "pee pee dance" pretty quickly. Once you have that you should be set. I used the Oh Crap Potty Training method and I thinks its really effective. The book is totally worth it, its more about stages than days.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Kelly3139
Registered Users
seller

I should add in OCPT she says that you should stay home for 4 days, I think. But she breaks it down into stages really well to give you a guideline of making progress. Also really great advice about how to talk about the potty, etc.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
ladiebug2663
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ocpt you only need to stay home a day or two and if u dont mind cleaning the mess while out go for it. Get the book u wont regreet it
ladiebug2663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Kelly, I WOH all week and thought that I could be "laid back" about PLing and not sit at home for 3 days (aka take off work).
That worked for about a month and DD was doing SO WELL. Then we had 2 weekends in a row where we were super busy and not home very much (so in diapers).
DD (2) now seems to have completely forgotten how to use the potty. We have gone from "one accident all weekend" to "all weekend and nothing made it in the potty." And now planning to take off work :-(
Just a cautionary tale - maybe if you can completely clear your days off for like 2-3 months.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You also might be able to discover your child's potty style. We figured out quickly that my dd is a camel and can hold it a loooong time. So we were good to go out if she went potty in the morning. We could usually make a few hours' trip.

Within 2 months of potty training we discovered that she was dry at every nap and tried nights without a diaper. She is dry at night too! She drinks plenty of liquids and still nurses. In the morning I swear she practically fills her little potty bowl.

Or you might find that your child is an every 30 minutes kind of kiddo, which gives you more opportunities to catch them in the act and get them to the potty on time, but it might mean a few extra days at home. I won't lie, my winter break this year sucked. Three weeks at home almost all the time and lots of pee on the floor. But the upside is that now she is 100% trained way younger than either of my other two did and I'm so glad to be done with diapers forever!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
litlckrets
Registered Users
seller
seller

The reason the various methods want you at home is so you can CLOSELY watch your child at all times. Catching every single accident before/while it's happening seems to be key. In the car you really can't watch as closely. I think it would be best to tough if out for a day or two at home. He may pick it up very quickly and then after that you can get back to your normal schedule. I checked out a book at the library called Toilet Training In Less Than a Day by Nathan H. Azrin PHD & Richard M. Foxx PHD. It's an older book, but I think quite effective. (My son is 25 months and easily distracted so he does have accidents sometimes, but I think the method is solid. I just need to do a refresher with him and watch him closely for a week and get back on track.)
Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When DD first started potty training, I had her sit on the potty every hour and she slowly worked her way up from there. DD didn't like to use public toilets because they were tall, scary, and loud. That didn't keep us from going everywhere. I would go on walks with the potty in bottom of the stroller. If we going to the park, the potty came too. Car rides to Grandma's were a 2 hour trip, so the potty came with us. I'd pull over every hour and offer DD a try on the potty.

Both DD and I learned that pee accidents were okay and they were always a learning experience. I carried A LOT of changes of clothes. She never had an accident in the car though. Eventually, DD got over her fear of public toilets, and now I only carry a toilet seat.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
agl
Registered Users

I tried unsuccessfully to potty train my daughter when she was 2 1/2. Then when she started preschool and saw that all of the other kids going potty, she decided she wanted to do it and has had very few accidents since. If your kid is ready, it will not be a struggle or take a long time. Every kid is different.
agl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:46 AM   #10
sherlynjames
Registered Users

Potty Training seat is a great start for all tot's to learn going to potty on their own. With comfortable seat and anti-skid base it makes the transition from a potty to an adult toilet seat, as per the child's vital growth stage!
sherlynjames is offline   Reply With Quote