Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
I wonder if these suggestions have websites as well?
No money to buy books right now :/

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: boobs, beds, and babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHome Sewing View Post
I wonder if these suggestions have websites as well?
No money to buy books right now :/
http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

It helped me immensely and allowed me to still cosleep. We all got much better rest and were happier during the day even.

Last edited by mcpforever; 04-20-2013 at 09:26 AM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
sweetpeapumpkinbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewool View Post
I started a new routine with my first around that same age, around 18 months. I couldn't handle the newborn waking habits for nursing all night anymore. I needed some "me" time at the end of the night as well. So I started working towards night weaning him. First step was to stop allowing him to nurse to sleep at night. Easiest way to do it was to build a new routine. I let him nurse until I knew he had a good amount, then told him "milkies are going to sleep, no more milkies, milkies go bye-bye." LOL. And then we started a new routine of laying on the pillow together and me singing to him until he fell asleep. Once he accepted that, I worked on the night time nursing. I would prepare him for what to expect before he fell asleep by saying milkies were going to sleep until it was light outside in the morning. When he woke to nurse and started crying, we would repeat the laying on the pillow and singing songs bit for a while - it was in a pain in the butt to wake up to sing to him for a few days but it didn't last long.
I'm doing something like this. I started with LO in his own bed (queen size, so that I can lay down with him), when he fell asleep I'd leave and go to my bed. The next step was to only nurse once on each side (no switching sides over and over until he finally falls asleep) and when he pops off, that's it. Then I moved to nursing once on each side and popping him off when I think he's pretty much done (fluttery tongue, sleepy), a la The No Cry Sleep Solution (which I also recommend, BTW). Last night, I decided to implement a (roughly) 8 hr no-nurse window (a la Jay Gordon, I think). Which meant that when he woke up 4 hrs after I got him to sleep, I took him to the potty and then we just layed back down, no nursing, just the normal after-nursing routine. He cried a little (less than a minute) and then went to sleep. I think because he has gotten used to falling asleep without nursing, it wasn't a difficult thing for him to just skip the nursing altogether. The next time he woke up, it was almost the end of the 8-hr window, so I went ahead and let him nurse.

Singing to sleep was very helpful for us in the beginning, too. I also use a certain phrase to signal that it's time to sleep, and we introduced a lovey (I think both of these ideas are in the No Cry Sleep Solution).

I really recommend The No Cry Sleep Solution, I wish I had read it when he was younger. I borrowed a copy from our library (I think it was through interlibrary loan), so it didn't cost me anything.

Last edited by sweetpeapumpkinbaby; 04-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.
sweetpeapumpkinbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
milosmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewool View Post
I started a new routine with my first around that same age, around 18 months. I couldn't handle the newborn waking habits for nursing all night anymore. I needed some "me" time at the end of the night as well. So I started working towards night weaning him. First step was to stop allowing him to nurse to sleep at night. Easiest way to do it was to build a new routine. I let him nurse until I knew he had a good amount, then told him "milkies are going to sleep, no more milkies, milkies go bye-bye." LOL. And then we started a new routine of laying on the pillow together and me singing to him until he fell asleep. Once he accepted that, I worked on the night time nursing. I would prepare him for what to expect before he fell asleep by saying milkies were going to sleep until it was light outside in the morning. When he woke to nurse and started crying, we would repeat the laying on the pillow and singing songs bit for a while - it was in a pain in the butt to wake up to sing to him for a few days but it didn't last long. We did that until I was just able to remind him that milkies were sleeping until it was light out when he would wake and then he would quickly fall back asleep. He eventually got it and started sleeping through the night. I never left him to CIO, the whole process took maybe 1.5-2 weeks. I wished I had done it sooner!!!

ETA: The younger/sooner something like this is done, the easier it will be! The more verbal they are it seems the harder it is to change a routine, I have learned!
Good advice....and as pp have said, I second the no-cry sleep solution book. We will be transitioning with some of these techniques when it is time.
milosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

I decided to night wean AND transition to a crib (all of 3ft from my bed) when ds was 13m. Before this, I introduced a "lovey" (I kind of forced it on him in the beginning )

So lets go back 2 months...
At 11months I bought one of those little blankies w/an animal head that are at every store. Every.Single.Time he nursed (which was freakishly often) I put that lovey up against my boob/in his arms. He tried to push it away a lot. After a few days he began to hold it. A few days after that and he HAD to have it.

At 12m I started putting him down for a nap (after nursing) in his crib with his lovies (yes, plural, he became addicted to these things and accumulated 9 by the time he was 2)

So here we are at 13m. Cosleeping at night. Nursing all night. Me not getting any sleep. I decided it had to stop. So, I bathed him, nursed him, told him it was bed time, and then put him in his crib with his lovies. He fussed a bit, but fell asleep (used to naps in his crib by this point.) I decided that I would not nurse if he woke up before 5hrs passed. <--- That was my personal time limit. You can adjust as you see best.
Sure enough, Mr. Nurse All Night woke up every hour. Sometimes every 30mins. I comforted him, but did not allow him to nurse (make sure your boobs are covered, lol)
After the 5hr window he was allowed to come back into my bed and nurse. Within a week he was happy with this arrangement.

However, we regressed around you childs age , and then I had to start the whole process over at 27 months and it was torture.

Honestly, its better to start now than to wait any longer. It may be rough for a week or so, but then itll be so incredibly nice!
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote