Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
ARW2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cloth diapering a newborn question. Advice please!:)

I cloth diapered my son at 4 months until he was potty trained and am now due in December. I used mostly covers and prefolds/flats. Is there much difference in cloth diapering a newborn and an older baby? I'm not sure where to begin. I really hate to sink much money into newborn diapers that she will grow out of super fast but I'm thinking it may be necessary. Advice please!

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Now, I haven't cloth diapered a newbie yet (I'm due in dec too). But if you're already used to prefolds and flats I'd stick with that! Newborn prefolds are relatively cheap Just find some newborn covers and you're set. I'll be using Thirsties xsmall and size 1, Proraps nb, Dappi pull-on, and Disana wool pull-on for nights. I also want to try Imagine nb covers.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 11-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cloth diapering a newborn question. Advice please!:)

Chances are what you have will be a bit big for day one. It depends on what you buy and how big/small your child is as to how fast they outgrown the diapers.

I would agree if you are already used to prefolds/flats to use those. Do you happen to have small flats? I would recommend using them if you do with the newborn kite fold and get some covers. Thirsties duo and Romparoo NB are pretty popular covers that grow with your child a bit. Capri NB/Sz1 as well.

If you don't have approx 30 small flats you can supplement with more or with some newborn (or possibly infant) prefolds.

The newborn kite fold is pretty easy, I can post a link if you have trouble finding it but you should be able to bring it up here, youtube, or google pretty easily.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. DESTASHING HERE!
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The main difference with newborns is, first, they are very tiny in those early days and you almost always do need very small covers to fit them. But stick with cheap covers or buy used ones and you will be okay. They need very frequent changing with all their little poops and sensitive new skin, so you do want a lot of changes on hand, I needed 36 changes on hand for mine. Flats and prefolds are perfect because you can fold them to fit just right, and they are cheap so you can just keep changing them whenever you want without feeling like you are throwing money away at each change. You just do a bit more laundry. Now that said, if you have really big babies you may be able to start in smalls and just deal with some bulk for a couple weeks, but if you have an average or smaller than average size baby you will get plenty of use out of newborn diapers.

I have only ever used prefolds and some flats but I CDed both my babies once we got home from the hospital, never bought any newborn sposies, I bought a stash of GMD newborn prefolds and used them on first DD and then DS and now they are in storage for future possible babies (except 6 of them became swiffer mop heads because they fit perfectly!! Lol) And for DS I had a dozen small flats and used those as well and loved them for when he was in between prefold sizes. Newborn kite fold with the flats, tight Jellyrolls and a snappi, holds in the poop very very well. I have used Bummis, Thirsties, Rumparooz, Blueberry covers and they all work great. But I do find I get the most use out of the adjustable ones and my favorites are Thirsties Duo size 1 and Rumparooz adjustable newborn.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

Prefolds are great for nbs.

When my last was born, I had been using fitteds and AI2s on my then toddler, so that is what I bought for the nb. Thankfully, I also bought a backup set of pfs and dappi nylon pullons. By the time she was two weeks old, she could out wet a nb fitted or pf during one nap. I switched to infant pfs snappied under the dappis until she grew into other diapers.

For the coming baby, I have mostly pfs with some dappis and covers that I have made. I also have nb pockets, but only because they are made with scrap fabric, so no money wasted if they don't work out. I can stuff a nb bamboo prefold in them, which is far more absorbent than the nb cotton ones I had in the past. I am hoping they work out because I have older kids that are excited to help and would like something easy for them.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
ARW2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you everyone. I guess I really need to get a move on figuring out what I need. I appreciate all of your advice! I don't have any prefolds anymore from DS but I did save all of my flats but they are huge. I have issues with too much bulk... so I may need to find some small ones. I didn't realize they came in smalls. I love flats!
Old 11-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

I loved pf and covers on my older child, but didn't really like anything on my newborn accept AIOs and flats. I had fit problems with any other system.

Last edited by HappiMom; 11-02-2013 at 11:25 AM.
HappiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
LMoo
Registered Users

I used prefolds and covers on my newborn. Easy peasy, just the same as diapering the 23 monther at the same time. I did get about 4 newborn covers from a baby consignment shops at about $3 a piece. He grew out of them in about a month. Then we went to our thirsties size 1 covers which he is still in.
LMoo is offline   Reply With Quote