Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cross-posted WWYD work trip

I'm cross posting this because it is about work but also I think fits into the parenting section and I want a wide range of opinions.

My work has a yearly trip to a conference in July. This year was looking like it was going to be in Seattle so I said I would go (we have friends in Seattle with 2 LOs close to my sons' ages) and I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to visit. The conference, travel, food are all paid for by work. Anyway, Seattle fell through and the conference is going to be in .....Vegas. Way less kid friendly and I don't know anyone there. So, now I'm worrying myself silly over what to do. Here are the options as I see them:

1. Say I won't go
Pros: Not a big deal to work if I do or don't go because we are sending one other person so we are "covered"

Cons: I desperately need credits for my bar membership (I have 0 this year) and I need them by August. I can get them here, but I will still probably need to do a multi-day conference to get so many credits (it will at least be in state, though) and my work won't pay for the credits so it will be a BIG personal expense to me.

2. Go with my mom and my kids
Pros: I don't have to spend 4 days away from my boys.

Cons: I am responsible for paying all the companion airfare (they obviously can share my accommodations) so, really pricey.

3. Go with DH and leave kids with my mom/dad and DH's mom/dad
Pros: I love spending one on one time with DH and it rarely happens.

Cons: I am so stressed that the boys won't handle having no parent around.

4. Go by myself, leave DH with kids (with my mom and his mom as big back-up).
Pros: Kids have a parent at home (not mom, but second best )

Cons: I'd be by myself and really miss my boys.

I really hate the idea of throwing away the opportunity to get enough credits for this year and most of next, but man, why Vegas?

So, if you read all of that, what would you do? Why?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

How long? I'd leave kids DH at home. Free trip, free CLEs.. hard to pass up... and for a one time deal I think that's what I would do.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cross-posted WWYD work trip

I'd leave Monday and come back on a red-eye on Thursday (so, I'd only miss full days Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday). I know...I just don't think I can say no to almost two years worth of free CLEs. My youngest still nurses occasionally, but I know that he wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there. I'm actually more worried about my oldest, he's such a mama's boy.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd go with Dh they'll be fine

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the reply. Also, I love your avi
Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Reese62299
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OH what a tough decision. I would 1. not go or 2. ROAD TRIP and bring the whole family LOL we wouldn't be able to afford air fare...how far is the drive??

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable leaving our children with anyone but my husband but I also wouldn't feel comfortable being away from my family!
Reese62299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I trust both my mom and my MIL with my children (note, I don't always agree with them on everything, but I know that they would provide very good care for my children), so I would leave my children with one of them and go with DH. I'm all for any time DH and I can spend alone together.

If leaving the children with someone I trusted was not an option, I'd leave them with DH and go alone.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd go with my DH and leave the kids.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

I'd go with DH. The boys will probably have a blast with the grandparents and as long as you trust that they'll be cared for, I say have fun!

Also, my older child is a HUGE mama's boy but does fantastic with my mother, especially if I'm NOT there. Yes, I miss him but their "sleepovers" every month or so are building a great relationship between them and its important to me that he is comfortable with being away from us for short visits in happy circumstances so that it's no extra stress in emergencies.
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I would go alone or go with DH and either way leave the kids at home.
Free credits that you need, free trip and a few days of not being a parent - Sounds fabulous to me!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote