Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
agriculturista
Registered Users
seller
seller

advice needed - need to switch from wool!

So, I had high hopes of exclusively using wool diaper covers for my firstborn - but he's about a month old now, and must run super hot all of the time - any time I put a wool pull on cover on him, he ends up super sweaty. I have a wool wrap that doesn't seem to heat him up too much. The pull on covers I'm using are sbish and disana. Instead of the wool, I'm almost exclusively using gdiapers stuffed with a trifolded prefold.
So, I'm opening the door into the world of other diaper covers, and I'd love to hear some advice on people's favorites - I don't like pocket diapers, but otherwise, I'm open to suggestions!
Thanks!

Advertisement

agriculturista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: advice needed - need to switch from wool!

huh it's always been touted that wool is the most breathable of covers.
So this sort of flies in the face of that.

The world is your oyster really. There are so many choices.

My dd had sensitive skin when she was an infant and her skin would turn red, I guess from sweat, even though I changed her right away.
And I use mostly pockets, covers, ai2 (best bottoms).

The MOST breathable would be to go coverless while at home. You can do that w/prefolds and flats using a snappi/boingos or pins, or fitted diapers.

What's your price range?
I would work from there.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sbish and Disana are pretty thick as wool goes, and very full-coverage, which makes it warmer. I'd try some lighter weight wool covers, like Loveybums crepe wrap covers.

In general, a breathable cover is going to be less sweaty than PUL, but a thinner trimmer cover is going to be cooler than a thick one. Also, shorties are cooler than soakers, IME, because they allow more air circulation.

FWIW, my son was (and still is, but he's out of diapers now) a super-sweater, and he'd break out in heat rash with sposies and PUL covers, but not with wool. We have 100+ degree weather here.

But, if you are definitely looking for non-wool, what about Nikky or Niji breathable cotton covers? They're pretty well priced and are very trim (good for trifolding... jury's still out over here about using them over a angel-winged prefold or prefitted).
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
agriculturista
Registered Users
seller
seller

it's true that the disana and sbish are wicked thick covers... and the disana definitely covers much of his torso, so that's probably what's leading to his overheating.
thanks for the loveybums recommendation - do you like their crepe covers the best? do they contain leaks well?

it makes me nervous to go without a cover at home, he sometimes SOAKS through the prefold pretty quickly... but maybe if I add a doubler, we could do that. We're home for the most part, and I'd love to be able to leave him in just a diaper.
agriculturista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

what about sbish's underwoolies or whatever they are called, they look thinner.
Ive never tried sbish so I dont know much about them.

I will have to look at the loveybums.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agriculturista View Post
it's true that the disana and sbish are wicked thick covers... and the disana definitely covers much of his torso, so that's probably what's leading to his overheating.
thanks for the loveybums recommendation - do you like their crepe covers the best? do they contain leaks well?

it makes me nervous to go without a cover at home, he sometimes SOAKS through the prefold pretty quickly... but maybe if I add a doubler, we could do that. We're home for the most part, and I'd love to be able to leave him in just a diaper.
How old is your ds?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
MomBecks
Registered Users

Babee Greens wool covers are a thinner stretchy jersey knit and might be cooler. Mother-Ease Airflow covers helped my DDs skin breathe better too.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
tfbmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by agriculturista View Post

I used to have some Loveybums crepe covers and loved them! I would consider them daytime covers though; they are pretty thin IMO. I only do PUL covers and prefolds at the moment. My favorites are Blueberry, Grovia, and Thirsties Duos.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you really want to get away from wool I would recommend the Mother-Ease Airflow covers. I like them because they are fuller fitting and the sides vent so you get good airflow.

I use fastened prefolds and fitted diapers coverless when baby is awake at home (pockets for nap time...) and just throw on an airflow cover when we need to go out. The airflow is really easy to pull on (I do up the legs ahead of time and snap the waist once it's on) so it functions a lot like pull on wool.
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
Belbaby3728
Banned

Bumby silky wool may work well for you. It's much thinner/lighter but still has a fuzzy soaker in the wetzone.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote