Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
momtoesther
Registered Users
seller

should I be worried?

I am 30 weeks pregnant with our 3rd. On Wednesday night I started having cramping and by Thursday night it was so bad I went to the L&D. They diagnosed a UTI and gave me antibiotics. They also checked my cervix and it was closed. I've been taking the antibiotics (on day 3 of 5) but the contractions are not going away. They are every 3-4 minutes, and while not super painful, uncomfortable enough for me to not be able to sleep. Can a UTI cause contractions? Or is this just Braxton hicks? I never had Braxton hicks with my other two pregnancies so I don't know what I should expect. My Dr's office is closed until MOnday, and we live an hour away from the hospital and are currently have a heavy snowfall warning

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: should I be worried?

A uti could definitely cause cramping. Braxton hicks are tight and maybe uncomfortable, but not painful. I would say your uterus might be irritated from the urinary tract infection, or it might be your bladder cramping. Bladder infections cause painful cramping too. I would call and ask my OB but I am betting its related.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
My doc told me that any more than 5 fake or real contractions an hour means I need to be seen at L&D.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If they don't go away after an hour or two with drinking a glass or water and laying down, or they get stronger, I would go in. My early labor contractions were identical to my BH. I had so many regular BH that with my second it took until I was already about 6cm dilated to realize that I was actually in labor. Drove the 5 minutes to the hospital was 7cm, and had a baby less than 2 hours later.

My BH almost always settle down with water and rest, though I have had to go in to have them stopped a few times, never any dilation though.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you not have a nurse or an on call Dr you can call to see what they think before heading in?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wonder if the UTI could intensify the pain of normal BH contractions (which have always been pretty painless for me...)?

Either way, I would think that by day 3 of the abx, you should be seeing significant improvement in UTI symptoms. I would worry that either you were misdiagnosed, the abx aren't working, or you're experiencing real contractions. Can you call the hospital to see what they say? I would NOT want to wait until Monday, personally.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
momtoesther
Registered Users
seller

ugh, thanks ladies I'm going to lay down for a while (popped a movie in for the kids) and hopefully the contractions stop. There is a travel advisory on the highway I need to take the hospital (we are getting a huge dump of snow) so I really want to avoid going out.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can also try taking a epsom salt bath. Magnesium helps to calm muscles; it's what they give moms in preterm labor. You can't overdose on it just by taking a bath, so I'd get a few pounds and take a bath in it.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a UTI with my last pregnancy and yes, it does cause contractions, and really does irritate the uterus for several days. There could also be a few reasons why you are still experiencing contractions though. With a uti and pregnancy, you need to drink a ton of water. Try drinking 12 oz of water every waking hour. Also, avoid acidic foods. REST. if this doesn't help, you could be on the wrong antibiotics. This happened to me. They need to run cultures AND sensitivity, which means is the infection resistant to certain meds. It takes 2-3 days to get those results.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Lisathena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YEs i have had 2 UTI's so far and get wicked contrax, lots often and have me worried at times. but nothing is going on i am closed and high
Lisathena is offline   Reply With Quote