Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Casondra87
Registered Users
seller

Anyone travel with a baby?

I have a 6 month old. We will be traveling from Michigan (EST) to (Las Vegas (pacific time) next month. She usually goes to bed at 9PM and gets up at 830AM. That will be 6PM and 530AM! We will be visiting family, so we may be staying up late and wanting to go out of course since we are in Vegas. Does anyone have any tips on sleep and traveling?

Advertisement

Casondra87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone travel with a baby?

Honestly, we try to adjust our schedule and keep our son's the same. Even now that he is 5 we still try as much as possible. We didn't when he was a baby and we regretted it. Once they are in a good pattern, just keep them in it. Even if it means you put them to bed in a back room, you forgo going out, and you get up early. I know that may not be the answer you want to hear but that is honestly what has worked best for us and our son.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Casondra87
Registered Users
seller

Personally I have no problem with her going to bed when we get home at midnight to adjust for the time difference. That is when we normally go to bed anyways.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

We actually did (and do) the opposite to slimy72; we adjust to the time zone. Travelling time is nap time, and the waking hours adapt around that. I feel like 6 months is young enough for it not to be too big a deal.

That said, our daughter doesn't fare too badly around time changes and disrupted sleep, whereas I know some children (and me, actually ) have a really difficult time. What happens, for instance, if your daughter doesn't nap properly? Is she a holy terror, or just a bit grumpier than usual? If the former, maybe try to keep her to her home schedule; if the latter, maybe risk the adaptation.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Casondra87
Registered Users
seller

How would I change her sleep schedule? She usually just whines when she's sleepy, she's not too crazy (usually). We will be traveling in the middle of the day arriving in Las Vegas around 5:15 pacific time.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For us, we just roll with the punches. I have a couple carriers, and baby goes in the carrier. Having 3 kids and one that is special needs with a lot of appointments and therapies, DD2 never gets a normal nap schedule. She has learned to go with it. I just don't worry about it too much. The kids sleep when they do, and that's how it goes.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Depends on the child. With DD1 she easily adapted to change. DD2, we kept her schedule the same or all hell broke loose! If you're taking a car all that driving will throw of her naps. Otherwise I'd adjust schedule by 30 minutes to an hour every 3-5 days til its where you want it for the trip.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Depends on the child. With DD1 she easily adapted to change. DD2, we kept her schedule the same or all hell broke loose! If you're taking a car all that driving will throw of her naps. Otherwise I'd adjust schedule by 30 minutes to an hour every 3-5 days til its where you want it for the trip.
This sounds very sensible, and we might give it a go this summer

Usually, though, we'd just make sure she's tired before we set off (probably by waking her up earlier than usual and letting her run around as much as possible) so that she sleeps while we're travelling, and then keep her up later to accommodate the nap time and time difference. The trips we do are between the UK and the US (6hrs with an 8hr air travelling time), so what we do might not work for you/your kid/your trip. But, in the grand scheme of things, we haven't found sleep schedules to be the massive pain that they seem. HTH!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Casondra87
Registered Users
seller

I'm just going to alter he bedtime to see if I can get her on a different schedule before leaving. That was what I was thinking of doing, but wanted to see if anyone else does something else. Thanks for the help. She went to bed later than normal last night so hopefully we can keep that up for a week or two and then try for another hour later to see if she'll go for the change.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
DD was pretty flexible at that age. And even now she flexes well when we're traveling and schedules are off.

I wouldn't stress too much about it. She is horrible if schedules get off while we're home, but seems to know the difference when we're traveling.