Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #31
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Preschool or not to Preschool - That is the question

Ajane-- I couldn't pass up your comment that you would be doing a disservice to your children if you tried to teach them. I bet you've taught them loads of things, before they were school age and I bet you continue to teach them things now that they are in school.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #32
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unfortunately, we couldn't afford to send my ds to preschool, and we weren't quite poor enough to get into the public school one either. I have tried my best to teach him what I can, but reading has been very difficult for him. He does not understand sounding out words, AT ALL! It's frustrating for me and him, and I've pretty much given up. As far as math goes, he's way ahead and adds, subtracts and multiplies. He's starting K this fall, right before he turns 6, and is very nervous about it. He's so shy with strangers, and I'm sure it will be difficult for him. I don't know what will happen in the fall, but I'm crossing my fingers that he will open up and adjust quickly.

I think pre-K would've been extremely beneficial for him and saved us this anxiety. It would've cost us about $200/wk.

I have enrolled him in a few, inexpensive, week-lo ng summer camps to give him some interaction with other kids his age. I hope they go well.
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #33
sabroussard
Registered Users
seller

We're sticking with MDO for right now (and its mainly for me to have a break and time alone with my youngest). We might do preschool the year before Kindergarten, but I kind of feel like we push our kids into school too early. Neither my husband or I did preschool or daycare and we turned out fine If your comfortable with home schooling and sending your kiddo to school is a financial stretch, I say keep your kiddo at home.
sabroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #34
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
Ajane-- I couldn't pass up your comment that you would be doing a disservice to your children if you tried to teach them. I bet you've taught them loads of things, before they were school age and I bet you continue to teach them things now that they are in school.
I would if I homeschooled them. There is no way I could successfully teach them the curriculum they would need to learn for each grade level and have it be a positive outcome. I know I have taught them a lot so far and will continue. I'm not dis serving myself I'm just being honest.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #35
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

I really feel for those children. In that instance I would say it isn't so much that preschool is the benefit for them--being in any environment away from the parents is! Which is terribly sad. So I guess it would benefit them, but so would many other environments.

I do think it is probably a good choice for some families, but if a child has a loving involved parent at home I think that is usually the best place for them to be.

It's also true that as a homeschooler I'm probably terribly biased. But it saddens me how many loving moms feel like they NEED to send their child to preschool because the mom doesn't think she cannot provide what the child needs. I think it's a sad myth of our current culture.
I'm not sure why it saddens you. Me, as an example. It isn't that I don't think I can provide what my children need, I know I can't. I'm not calling myself inadequate or unintelligent, I'm just honest with myself. Everyone sees things in a different way and teaches in a different way. I would much rather be a mom and teacher and have my kids learn from other teachers as well.

I love my kids more than anything, but I don't have to be with them 24/7 to show that. My kids are fine with a break from me and I need a break from them also. Of course I miss them like crazy when they are at school, but it is better for all of us.

My kids do have a loving parent at home and they are at home the majority of the week with me, but it is still ok that they go to school.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #36
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

It's also true that as a homeschooler I'm probably terribly biased. But it saddens me how many loving moms feel like they NEED to send their child to preschool because the mom doesn't think she cannot provide what the child needs. I think it's a sad myth of our current culture.
I totally agree!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #37
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Yes, I would send a 4 year old to preschool, even with a SAHM. As a former kindergarten teacher, I can assure you that children who have attended preschool have a huge advantage in the early years of school over those who have not.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #38
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
I'm not sure why it saddens you. Me, as an example. It isn't that I don't think I can provide what my children need, I know I can't. I'm not calling myself inadequate or unintelligent, I'm just honest with myself. Everyone sees things in a different way and teaches in a different way. I would much rather be a mom and teacher and have my kids learn from other teachers as well.

I love my kids more than anything, but I don't have to be with them 24/7 to show that. My kids are fine with a break from me and I need a break from them also. Of course I miss them like crazy when they are at school, but it is better for all of us.

My kids do have a loving parent at home and they are at home the majority of the week with me, but it is still ok that they go to school.
I had a good idea what you were saying about doing them a disservice, the way it came out just didn't sound like you were giving yourself enough credit. Not every mom can (or wants to) homeschool, but we all teach our children things.

When I said it saddens me I wasn't referring to all children who go to preschool (or regular school). I was just talking about the kids the previous poster mentioned, that have a very poor home life. I didn't mean kids with good parents that choose to send them to school.

ETA Whoops, I saw the second time I sad was probably what you were talking about. There I was not talking about the ones who want to send to preschool, but the parents who would rather have their kids at home for another year or two, but feel like if they don't send them to preschool they will be behind so they feel like they HAVE to send them.

Last edited by jen_batten; 04-22-2013 at 06:52 PM.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #39
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As for special needs kiddos...

My son does not get what he needs from EI at home. He did 3 years of EI with great providers, and private therapy. We do OT, PT, Speech, and Feeding Therapy privately in addition to what he gets at school. He makes the most gains when he is with other kids. His speech grew exponentially when he started preschool. It is just not the same as talking to mom all the time. It was an amazing gain. He is at preschool for 2.5 hours 5 days a week, and I honestly can't believe the difference this year made for him. He comes home happy every day, and I do honestly think he is way better off because of it.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #40
newmom98118
Registered Users
seller

This conversation has been super helpful for me. We're (DH and I) are still wrestling with our decision. So many pros and cons to both...and none of it is black and white. I know that DS is ready for it but at $200 per week for part time is a tough sell. I think being home with me and younger brother would be emotionally nourishing...but less so in terms of experiential learning.

Thanks again mamas.
newmom98118 is offline   Reply With Quote