Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I really that much stricter than other Moms?

I don't know, I have two close in age and I agree with Melfin for most of that. We don't have really any set rules besides inside voices unless in playroom and leave your shoes by the door. My kids are extremely well behaved, nothing ever dented/broken/ busted around here.

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #32
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a big bad meanie also except I go further than that.
My kids MUSTuse manners
They WILL clean up at someone's house even if they didn't make all the mess
They will tell me where they are going and check in, if not then they have to stay home
Attitude and back talk and lying are not tolerated. You get one warning and then you have extra chores like scrubbing the grout with a toothbrush, cleaning out the garbage can, scrubbing tub or toilet, pulling weeds and other not so fun chores.
With 5 kids 15, 10, 8, 2.5 and 4 months I have to be fairly strict ( I see it as responsibility but not many others do not) otherwise chaos will ensue.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm

Last edited by myclanof6; 04-21-2013 at 02:54 PM.
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #33
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Those are normal rules to me. We do allow soft balls in the hallway when it is raining. We also allow running periodically when it is raining. We do tons of jumping jacks normally to try and curb running when they have no good outlet for energy.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #34
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now
Well I have 9 and they could overthrow me so I run this house with an iron fist! LOL!

No yelling in the house
No fighting
No running, jumping, flipping in the house
Your toys must be out of common areas as soon as you are done with them
ALL food is eaten at the table
Only water is allowed out of the kitchen
Dishes must always be taken to the sink
When its cold out, no going in and out. Once you come in, you stay in.
Absolutely no back talking mama
You MUST obey. I will ask once, then punishment.
Bedtime is non-negotiable. I will tuck them once and tell them I better not see them out of their room unless blood is involved! They can use the bathroom but only if necessary.

Mostly common sense stuff. But, people always compliment us when we are out as to how well behaved our kids are. I am firm with consequences and consistency!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Sounds like my house.

EXCEPTION to yelling and jumping...our house is relatively small for six people and we have a basketball hoop in our common area, which also houses the table and walk thru to the kitchen. If dh is playing ball with them then it can get a little noisy. That's in good fun and when he says stop, they stop.

EXCEPTION #2... Ds2 has asd as well as adhd so he can wind up quick and it can take a while to settle back down. Ds3 is going through a period of finding his way and frequently copies ds2 and gets into big trouble. But he'll get there.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #35
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
We allow running in the house.
No jumping on couches, but you can jump on the floor, trampoline or beds.
Most meals are at the table, but not snacks.

I don't think your rules sound 'strict' though. Just preferences.

What's strict is my friend who sets a timer for meals and that's how long the kids get. They need to eat instead of play. Course, she says they won't get snacks to make up for not eating, but they always seem to

We have things which are pretty strict here, they're just not the things you're prioritizing.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #36
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have rules for manners or respect since it's never been a problem. I always say please, thank you, welcome, excuse me, hold doors open and so on. I have always modeled that for my kids and they've been doing that since they could talk. My kids, forgot to say in my other post, always help pick up toys at others houses and follow their rules. Never had a problem with that either.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #37
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

I have a ton of rules for my house. A lot of the more unruly kids dont like coming over for me to babysit.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #38
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd say we are very strict. I'd think your rules are normal ones to have in any house but I guess I'm wrong. Except with eating...some days we pull out the little table and watch a movie while we eat. Oh and running in the house. Eh, we don't care about that at all unless company is here and it's bothering them that the kids are being really rambunctious.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #39
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do kids get their energy out on a rainy day if they can't run inside? Seems like they are just as likely to get hurt outside. If we are with someone who has a young baby I tell them not to run but other than that, our kids race doll strollers in the house and play tag. When it's raining we'll jog laps around the first floor. Seems like running outside is just as dangerous what with rocks, roots, and cement.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #40
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked
How do kids get their energy out on a rainy day if they can't run inside? Seems like they are just as likely to get hurt outside. If we are with someone who has a young baby I tell them not to run but other than that, our kids race doll strollers in the house and play tag. When it's raining we'll jog laps around the first floor. Seems like running outside is just as dangerous what with rocks, roots, and cement.

We do inside activities like coloring and reading when it is raining. I just don't believe a day or so of being inside will kill a child. They don't have to run day in and day out. They should know there is a time for it and according to our house rules there is no running in the house. I feel my kids need to learn self control and if that means no running because it is raining out, then they don't run.

For us it is a respect thing. I would not let my kids run inside someone else's house so they do not run in mine. We don't have seperate rules for our house and others. They are the same rules.

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote