Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #41
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I really that much stricter than other Moms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymama View Post
I'm down with all of those except the no running. I would prefer no running but my kids are bad about running in the house. We eat meals at the table and we eat crust on bread too.
The bolded is just over the top! I mean come on!....BTW that was in a joking tone. We sometimes eat crusts here but that is me with the issue and DD adopted it.

OP We have same rules here. Running isn't a big deal here but it has been in other houses and is in my grams so I still enforce it.

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #42
R055ANA
Registered Users

Thanks for all of you who chimed in for this question but why are we comparing if we are strict or not. These are the rules that work for your family so keep them even if I think they are strict or not.

It seems like this is some way to compare families and ways that some here and in real life are thinking they parent better than others.

I don't make my kids sit @ the table to eat. If they want to stand or eat in the kitchen instead of the table that is cool. I stand to eat sometimes as well. I don't want crumbs all over the house so I will ask them to eat over the table or something so the crumbs don't fall on the floor. I also don't want them eating in the living room or other parts of the house.

My kids can run in the house unless it is late or there is some reason for them not to run like I have something set up on the carpet. I also allow my kids to jump on our indoor trampoline, again don't jump on that if someone is sleeping and the jumping is making too much noise.

We have different rules depending on where we are. If someone doesn't want my kids to run in the house then fine my kids won't run. Another example we don't watch tv here but if they go to my mom's house and she is taking care of them she lets them watch tv. Again I am fine w/ that because she is watching them for free and her house her rules as far as the tv.

I guess my question is what is the point of this post? Do you want validation for what you are doing or if others told you you were strict would you want to make a change? I am not saying this in a rude way and I hope you don't take offense but I just wanted to understand this better.

I also wanted to say that I wouldn't have an issue w/ your rules if we were going to your house for a visit w/ my DDs.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #43
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now

We do inside activities like coloring and reading when it is raining. I just don't believe a day or so of being inside will kill a child. They don't have to run day in and day out. They should know there is a time for it and according to our house rules there is no running in the house. I feel my kids need to learn self control and if that means no running because it is raining out, then they don't run.

For us it is a respect thing. I would not let my kids run inside someone else's house so they do not run in mine. We don't have seperate rules for our house and others. They are the same rules.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
My children are 1 and 3 and that age group has too much energy to just sit and color all day. I guess I don't respect my own home because I jog laps in it when it's raining outside or run the stairs for exercise?

hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #44
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA
Thanks for all of you who chimed in for this question but why are we comparing if we are strict or not. These are the rules that work for your family so keep them even if I think they are strict or not.

It seems like this is some way to compare families and ways that some here and in real life are thinking they parent better than others.

I don't make my kids sit @ the table to eat. If they want to stand or eat in the kitchen instead of the table that is cool. I stand to eat sometimes as well. I don't want crumbs all over the house so I will ask them to eat over the table or something so the crumbs don't fall on the floor. I also don't want them eating in the living room or other parts of the house.

My kids can run in the house unless it is late or there is some reason for them not to run like I have something set up on the carpet. I also allow my kids to jump on our indoor trampoline, again don't jump on that if someone is sleeping and the jumping is making too much noise.

We have different rules depending on where we are. If someone doesn't want my kids to run in the house then fine my kids won't run. Another example we don't watch tv here but if they go to my mom's house and she is taking care of them she lets them watch tv. Again I am fine w/ that because she is watching them for free and her house her rules as far as the tv.

I guess my question is what is the point of this post? Do you want validation for what you are doing or if others told you you were strict would you want to make a change? I am not saying this in a rude way and I hope you don't take offense but I just wanted to understand this better.

I also wanted to say that I wouldn't have an issue w/ your rules if we were going to your house for a visit w/ my DDs.
Haven't you heard? You can't be a mommy without participating in mommy wars. They make you sign forms saying you will and everything when you apply for your baby's birth certificate.

We teach our kids to be courteous and mindful of others. Our kids are far more well behaved than any other kids we are around. And they run in our house and snack in the living room! The horror!

hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #45
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked

My children are 1 and 3 and that age group has too much energy to just sit and color all day. I guess I don't respect my own home because I jog laps in it when it's raining outside or run the stairs for exercise?

I also have a 1 and 3 year old also.....

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #46
mommie2_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the exact same rules, along with probably 20 others. I always get looks because my children say "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am". I guess I would be known as very strict.
mommie2_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #47
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have the same rules as the OP. DH and I worked hard to have the nice things we have (ie our furniture) and I'm not going to have it wear out sooner by letting the kids jump and climb all over it. The couches and chairs are for sitting/laying on.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #48
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommie2_4
I have the exact same rules, along with probably 20 others. I always get looks because my children say "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am". I guess I would be known as very strict.
Yes/no ma'am/sir here too
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #49
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses

Here too.

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #50
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses

That's what I meant to include in our manners, it's a respect thing.

And as far as running there is only a 10ft space in my house for that to happen so no running. Our youngest boy is 8, dd is 2 and she can run around furniture but our boys are too big for that. If its a rainy day I'm a slacker parent and my kids watch TV, play video games or play on the computer excessively. My 2y old gets her share of TV and iPad time. Oh, and they also play with plastic toys with batteries and have been known to eat dog food (2y old at the moment) and overly processed hot dogs and ramen noodles on occasion just in case anyone wanted to call CPS.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote